Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I think your on to something Sled.

I've seen many a wakeboard boat and most of the riders aren't any better than me (and I'm not very good). This is my second year trying the sport and I've only been on the wakeboard about 10 times. Just starting to land w2w behind my outback.

I bought a "ski" boat because I love to slalom. But I'm open to new sports and wakeboarding and surfing because I just love to be in the water. First pull on a wakeboard and I was up and cutting. Surfed twice and hope to freeride my next time out

Now in my humble opinion surfing and wakeboarding is WAY easier than strapping on a slalom ski and doing a deep water start! I think that is why most will opt for a V-drive out of the gate and say they like wakeboarding better.............I'll bet NONE of them has even tried to slalom.

Now some of you are good at wakeboarding and very passionate about it and Please don't take offense. I just think the masses say they like/dislike something without even trying it!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Good point.
    Many are status but alot more are trying this new "fad" waksurfing, so we are seeing more and more ski/surf boats show up. Me too I guess but i grew up with I/O's. I don't understand why you would want to spend huge $$ or a new I/O when these boats have better finishing, performance, and safety performance than anything else out there.

On our lake there just are not alot of slalom skiers. We do though have 2 of the top 10 wakeboarders in Canada. They are amazing and i watch them whenever they are out. These kids make it look so easy, I was inspired to go out and do some crazy stuff. I am terrible. W2W heelside/toeside, some edging and a 180. Every other trick is into the drink. I posted a pic of one kid on a green/black Centurion in my albums doing a superman. They pull more spins than your rinse cycle and cannot even describe some of the moves.

As far as people buying boats for status. Hey, I see people commuting in some crazy trucks/cars too. don't know if that will ever change. On the other hand, I have not seen too many people buying them for fishing boats though.
    Last edited by deerfield; 09-02-2010 at 07:28 AM. Reason: banned word

the only reason I wakeboard is because the lake closest to me has a 20mph speed limit. It's fun (as long as I'm not catching that front edge) and it's better than tubing, but anytime I'm on a lake where I can ski that's what I do.

I didn't buy a V drive as a status symbol; didn't even know it was one lol, my decision at the time was between getting an i/o or a v drive, especially since I was just a casual recreational skier at the time. Really what it came down to was "hey that boat doesn't have a propeller to bust yourself on when you jump in" That was all before those crazy buoys got in my head! My next boat will most likely be a direct drive, but it might be an older boat just to use at the ski lake.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

That's a great idea, I have also thought of just getting an older classic. There are some good, cheap ones around if you look.

Where do you get a rope with 20 and 25 off loops?
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off