Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

mine has a sticker which states the limit is 500#
    06 LSV
    2 - 750lb Fatsacks, Custom Sunbrella Cover and Bimini, Kenwood KMR440MU and Amp Bazooka Tower Speakers, Aerial Mirror, Stargazer, 4 Port Heater.

Toys - O'Brien Natural, CWB Pure, IS Yellow Loogie, CWB Ride, Hyperlite Voyageur for the kids.

[quote=newyear14;111021]
    Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    I would think there is a much different weight in and out of water. As in the water the water is actually helping support the weight and out of the water all the weight is right on the deck.

I agree. The bouyancy provided by the water may allow you to support more weight. How much weight? not sure. I've had 3 teens on my platform (150# x 3 =450) and it seems fine.
    Ok I have to disagree with this totally unless the weight on the platform is in the water. If the platform is submerged than the platforms weight maybe be reduced a small amount not much though as it is quite dense. You have to be in the water displacing it to have any boyant effect. So i guess the weight of your feet can be reduced..........
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

[QUOTE=DOCDRS;111205]
    Quote Originally Posted by newyear14 View Post

Ok I have to disagree with this totally unless the weight on the platform is in the water. If the platform is submerged than the platforms weight maybe be reduced a small amount not much though as it is quite dense. You have to be in the water displacing it to have any boyant effect. So i guess the weight of your feet can be reduced..........
    Doc, I agree with you. If the platform was 4" thick and was made of foam (so it's super buoyant), then yes, the water would support it's weight and some of the weight of the people standing on it. But I believe that the swim platforms don't float so the water only reduces it's weight by a small amount. And anyone on the platform, only the part of them that is underwater is being partially supported by the water.

So in conclusion, being on the water only marginally increases it's weight holding capacity.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by jamie_abb View Post
    mine has a sticker which states the limit is 500#
    I've got the same boat - where is the sticker located?
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

i was thinking last year someone made a post about the swim deck coming off there boat and it floated?
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I would be stunned if the deck on my 99 Mobius floated. Looks like just molded fiberglass, couple of metal brackets, and the top pad. I think it would sink like a rock and not provide any floatation at any time.

As far as weight on platform... I would never have more than 3 adults on the platform - but I would expect it to hold that. We ski from a dock so rarely have more than 4 people in the boat - so who knows...
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

The only way that I could see a platform floating is if it caught an air pocket underneath it due to the lip, which I doubt would happen or stay there. I would think that assuming there is some bouyancy to a platform it would be so minimal it hardly even worth counting. For example (not actual ratings) if the platform could hold 500#s out of the water, it could hold 510#s in the water. This is assuming your not moving. If your moving, the water support would be gone, back to dry weight. The small amount of difference is not worth counting and more appropriately should be called margin of safety.

When it comes it comes to the kids, I never have worried. As for adults, is there room for more than 2 anyway?
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

I may be overprotective, but I limit generally to 1-2 adults and 2-3 kids. Try to keep a 250lb +/- range.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

[QUOTE=KG's Supra24;111216]
    Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post

When is a supra/moomba swim platform not under water? Mine is almost always under water. Any weight in the back pushes it under.

Is the weight of your body not disbursed across the platform, though? Also, is the platform something that would float if it fell off? I'd think so; therefore its bouyancy will help with the weight put on the boat. Ive had 3 or 4 grown ups standing on it before and never thought twice about it.

My guess, those tiny pins that hold it to the boat would break before you did any damage to the boat.
    Those "pins" support no weight. They just lock it on so it can't slide up & off. All the weight is supported through the brackets and bolts going into the hull. These things could support a LOT of weight before there would be a failure of the metal brackets. Not sure what would go first, probably pull the screws out of the boat before anything "broke".

As far as a limit, we've had 3 adult and a bunch of kids on mine. the more the marrier I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only one whose moves when I step on it!

do the platforms float.......yes some if not all of them do.......do they provide bouyancy...i think not (otherwise the boat wouldnt sink when we add ballast) do i think they are strong....incredibly......how strong ....very ,they are thru bolted at reinforced locations on the transom......remember those two transom rings......you can pick the boat up with them.......but the further you move the weight to the back of the platform the increase stress on the transom proportional to the distance you move away from the transom.........but i knew i could get this thread moving again with a little push i like controversy
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug