Default Boat won't start

So i'm pretty new to inboard boating, I have a 2001 mobius with around 300 hours on it. I have but around 25 hours on it since buying it a couple of months ago. Two or three weeks ago I had the boat out and started to experience some problems after running for a couple hours I was getting ready to pull someone and when I gave the boats gas I would get little response out if it, I made it back to the dock, and cleaned some gunk out of the fuel/water separator and it ran fine for about an hour then it did the same thing again, made it back to the dock to call it a day. While putting the boat on the trailer the motor quit on me. I replaced the fuel/water separator today hoping that would help it out but was unable to get the boat started, any ideas on what else it may be. Thanks in advance for any help or guidance you may provide me.

Quote Originally Posted by cdonson View Post
    So i'm pretty new to inboard boating, I have a 2001 mobius with around 300 hours on it. I have but around 25 hours on it since buying it a couple of months ago. Two or three weeks ago I had the boat out and started to experience some problems after running for a couple hours I was getting ready to pull someone and when I gave the boats gas I would get little response out if it, I made it back to the dock, and cleaned some gunk out of the fuel/water separator and it ran fine for about an hour then it did the same thing again, made it back to the dock to call it a day. While putting the boat on the trailer the motor quit on me. I replaced the fuel/water separator today hoping that would help it out but was unable to get the boat started, any ideas on what else it may be. Thanks in advance for any help or guidance you may provide me.
    Are you running ethanol fuel mix?

I am but I add the Blue stabl when I put in gas.

Since you replaced the separator, then you prob still have bad gas in the lines and bowl of the carb. You could try to start it using some ether(starting fluid) by spraying it into the carb while spinning the engine over.

I'll try that i'm going to go ahead and replace the fuel filter as well, thanks for the advice.

Does anyone know where I can pick up a new fuel filter, I believe the one on it now is a NAPA filter but unsure of the part number.

If the problem persists you may need to drian the fuel tank. At least that model is easy to siphon out of.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

So I got the boat started today after trying to crank it 10 to 15 times it ran fine at idle then I applied power it ran up fine, but after pulling the throttle back it would shut off after about 5 seconds any other thoughts? I have changed the fuel filter and water separator, anything else I may be able to change to help it.
    Don't really want to have to haul it to the dealer. Thanks again for any input.

It is that ethanal gas. I have had the same problem the last three years. I have talked to other boat owners. They are having the same problems. You need to drain the carb bowls an flush gas out of the lines into a clear pitcher. You will see the water come out in the gas. I was going to rebuild my carb but after I took it apart. The back bowl had a water or acid line about 1/2" up. Ethanal will turn to a acid an eat the carb up. I had to replace my carb. $417 worth. After you get the bad gas out of the carb an fuel lines an bottom of fuel tank. You need to run it hard an open the secondaries before you put it up. Since we only pull at 20 mph the back secondaries don't open much to flush out the ethanal. So it will phase separate an eat up your carb. Trust me many of my friends have been fighting this with there boats. Good luck.

Carb you can disconnect the hose, put it in a gas can and power up the fuel pump to drain the tank. Then run some fresh gas through the system, reconnect the gas line then replace the filter. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes. Run a carb cleaner.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD