Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Windshield Shattered While Towing Home

Towing my boat home this evening, I happened to look in my rear view at the perfect time to see a large rock bounce off my boat passenger side windshield and shatter it. At least it was on the way home and not on my way to the lake. Anyways. Anybody have any advise on repairing this? (doable myself, take it to the dealer or order online, etc.) Is this a common occurance or am I just that unlucky?
    Here are some pics:

Jeremy
    06 Mobius LS

that sucks! Never had it happen but always worried about it! Another reason for towing covered (even though I don't do it all the time either). I know it's not that hard to remove the glass but I've never had to do it myself. Others have done so to tint. So I'm not sure if it comes out in 1 peice or 2? I'm interested to see the responses you get as well.

Good luck!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Muzzy - Had my Outback four years. Towed it cross country twice. Lots of local towing, too. Never had windshield damage or heard of it happening. Feel bad for you. Maybe covered by your insurance policy? - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

wow, that sucks.

I believe that you just take the screws off and remove the top cap. there's a seal in there that I would imagine you have to replace as well..

might take duct tape and place it across the glass before you remove it to keep it from making a bigger mess?
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

To remove the windshield

1 remove the rubber stripping on the lower section
    2 remove the threw pins that are hinging the center section
    3 remove all the screws under that rubber strip you removed.
    4 there is 1 screw that has a bolt on it, its really close to where your cubby door meets the side of the seat.
    5 check for a screw right where the window meets the boat and the tower leg is bolted
    6 remove the walk threw brace arm
    7 Gently pull from the walk-threw section up ward. It will resist a lot as this is a rubber seal and you are breaking the seal.

The windshield is very light. Especially with a missing window < sorry couldn't resist. >

Now you can remove the small screws and dissemble the frame.

Get a new window pop it in and reassemble.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune bro. Was it a passing car that tossed a rock? Or your car? This is one of the reason i got a tow guard on my 350 because it loves to toss things off those big tires
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

my buddy an i were towing his ski natique home from the lake and it had a one piece windshield and the same thing, got hit by a rock and the whole tempered glass windshield fell inside of the boat. We scooped out handfuls of glass and shop vac for hours. It was awful.

It's not hard to do but it will be expensive. A full replacement windshield for a boat runs in the $1200+ range. Check around maybe someone can get you a deal on the replacement piece needed. Windshields for most boats are made by Taylor Made Systems - Marine Division, not sure about SC though.
    2007 Mobius LSV

I'd suggest chekcing with your ins. carrier too.

I've towed many thousands of miles, and never covered (not sure how that would help this), and never had it happen, or seen/heard of it happening.

I had same exact issue a few years ago. Heartbreaking! I picked up boat on Fri eve for a Sat am ride.. broke on way home.. looked JUST like yours.

I called around for a few weeks. Had dealer call factory and they found one on the lot. Wasn't easy. Taylor Made was not real helpful.
    Odd's are you will have to buy the whole windshield. There have been on here or Ebay someone selling that side (they must have needed the driver side)

MMandley gave you the scoop on removing. i did the work myself. it is doable.

I had the factory ship mine directly to my office. Paid about $750 for driver side only..
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Is a accident of this nature not covered by Insurance?