Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lead...?

Default Lead...?

I’m thinking about getting some lead to stick in the boat… my question is were are you guys getting it from and is there anything I should about using it… can I leave it in the boat all the time or should I take it in and out when not using the boat…???

Thanks!

Also the cost...? And just the over all pos and cons of using it…

Thanks!

I have one major concern with lead in boats..........it doesn't float

How much weight you looking to add?

Sled491 Guest

Lead is actually hard to come by these days. We make all our own sinkers and jigs and it is a major ordeal to find 100lbs. If you insist look to spend about 50 to 65 cents a pound and it will be dirty and not ready for use.

But to parrot others why not use regular water ballast?

Interesting that this thread comes up once in a while.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Well I really don’t know how much weight I was looking to add, it was all just a thought to use maybe a few hundred pounds and just keeping it in the boat so save having to add the additional water ballast…

Maybe like 400lbs across the back of the boat under the seat or something…

Yeah for sure I wouldn’t want to have to take it in and out of the boat all the time! And yeah I know it don’t float and that’s big worry for even having it! Davy Jones is cool and all but no thanks!

Right now I have a 750lbs bag in the back a 300 (I think) in the ski locker and maybe like 250 (I think) under the front seats and non of them a hard piped in so if I want to use any or all of them I have to do it all manually (Fill and empty) and that 750 take a wile to do this! So I was thinking maybe if I could add a few hundred lbs under the back seat I could change the back bag out to something smaller to save time in filling and empting… but then I would still need the 750 for surfing…

I’ve asked my local dealer for a quote (Rinkers Boat World) to hard pipe all my bags to the gravity 3 system but they haven’t come back to me with a price. I would do it my self but when I’m home I’m only home for 2 or 3 weeks at a time like twice a year and I really don’t want to spend 2 or 3 of them days working on the boat when I only have limited amount of day home to start with!

Thanks!

My neighbor uses bags of lead shot for loading shotgun shells.
    jy

Sled491 Guest

I just got off the lake from surfing. Ran a 800 down the side and a 550 across the back. Used a 1100gph Uber pump, takes like 10 minutes to set up. Not bad really.

The new Sumo Sac pump is rated at 100lbs for every 55seconds. I have one. It works amazing!
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

Quote Originally Posted by Sled491 View Post
    I just got off the lake from surfing. Ran a 800 down the side and a 550 across the back. Used a 1100gph Uber pump, takes like 10 minutes to set up. Not bad really.
    is your 07 a V Drive or DD? if it's DD i would love to see some pictures of your wake with that's set up?!?