Default getting slalom skier started/up

Hi all,
    New to the board, have a question. We have previously used Nautiques for skiing, we now have a Moomba Outback LS 2001. We just bought it used. My husband is a slalom skier, always a little more difficult to get started-however, now with the Moomba, it seems like I can't him out of the water-I tried tonight with 2 skis and it took 4 tries, I felt like I was underwater and then I came up out of it, wheras with the Nautique I never got that snootful of water. Anyway, we have the rope all the way out, on the pylon, whereas he used to use 15 off, so maybe that's part of it, but he feels like I'm not giving him enough gas, but I feel like I'm giving it a lot of throttle. The engine seems to run well, without any hiccups.
    Any ideas or suggestions, we do like the boat but we need to be able to get him going, or we will be in a jam. Thanks

Cool

First thing is the LS is probably a bigger heavier boat than most Nautiques. Next what prop is being used,hp motor etc. I'm assuming double boots on the ski being used. I use full throttle getting out as i'm 6'5'' 215lbs ,if and when i used toe loops and dragged out then not all throttle is necessary,. Maybe you are not using all available power,but i reall suspect it may be the boat size difference coming into play?
    07 Outback DD

Smile

As for above forgot to mention Full rope could be part of issue slightly as well. Usually 75ft rope is hardly needed,try going 15ft off or first notch on a ski rope and this may help with slack and rope drag etc. I'm sure others will chime in with more hints advice etc soon . Good luck.
    07 Outback DD

He needs to improve his technique getting out of the water. If everything is OK with your boat, it has excess power for slalom ski pull up. Knees up tight, push on the rear foot once power is applied and keep the tip of the ski above the water. Balance is the only key that can't be explained.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

nautique - Nothing to add to the above suggestions. Just want to welcome you to the Moomba family and congratulate you on the new boat. I have an Outback and really like it. Previous boat was a Ski Nautique. Post some pics when you get a chance. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Thanks for the input and welcome. The HP is a 305, not sure on the prop, also thought about it tonight we had all 5 kids (wt range 50-100 lbs) on the boat at the time, so probably didn't help matters, or concentration. He uses a boot in front, and slip on the back for the ski.
    Maybe it's the boat driver. I'm having a hard time figuring out how much power to give him. The 206 Nautique I could rip the rope out of his hand, so I'm leery of shoving it forward too much.

We seem to have a variety of ski ropes, fat ones, skinny ones, medium ones,
    not sure if that makes any difference.

I even thought about a shore start, but he hasn't done that and is grumping about trying it.

My 99 Mobius with 310 HP carb engine pulled 8 skiers out of the water (on two skis). I find the biggest problem is that it is easy to overpower the skier so we tend to underestimate how much gas to give. It definitely takes a touch. And it is hard for the skier sometimes to tell you if it is too much gas or not enough. Should be just a matter of getting used to it...
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

I'm 250 lbs on a 69" HO and it's full bore baby. I had someone try pulling me out at less than full throttle and I kept telling him full throttle with a fairly rapid throttle up and not all at once since it yanks the handle out of my hands. Don't be afraid to step on it. Like Christopher Walken once said: "I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more throttle."

All due respect here is the video:
    http://www.funnyhub.com/videos/pages...e-cowbell.html
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

When my wife yanks me out of the water, she nails the throttle; I just want up and out of the water, and hanging on tight is part of the deal. When I pull my wife out of the water, on the other hand, she prefers that I take a couple of seconds to reach full throttle; once she is starting to come out of the water, I waste no time, and I yank her the rest of the way out. If your hubby has a hard time holding on when you hit full throttle, try giving him a second or two as you throttle up to wide open. As soon as your skiier is out of the water, throttle back to the desired RPM.
    2010 Outback