Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Alternative To Buying OEM Tower Pads

Didnt want to wait for the local dealer to order these pad and take 2 weeks to get them to me so I picked up these rubber surface step pads from walmart for $7. It is the perfect width and one strip will make 2 pads. Easy to drill through, has a 3m sticky back and with the rubber traction nubs its even just a bit thicker than stock. Installed it with the sticky side up on the alluminum and it has been holding perfect so far.

[IMG][/IMG]

Can you attach a picture of the pad installed?

Regards

sure will, wont get a chance to get to the boat till tues night though. i think the majority of the time the reason why these pad slip out is due to the screw holes tearing.

Great, I will be waiting.

Thanks

here ya go. 6 hours later, still holding strong.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The look great, very nice work and very crative.

Thanks.

Looks good! Just a small comment, I would almost think you would want to mount the sticky side to the boat. Over time this is going to rub your gel/clear/paint or whatever off. If you put the sticky side on the boat, all you have to deal with is some adhesive remover if you ever want to change them and youll be rubbing on the stainless and not the boat. This looks awesome on your boat, and Im assuming you probably wont change these before you sell the boat because it looks like theyll last a longgggg time. Just was giving my $.02. Cheers.
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by lewisb13 View Post
    Looks good! Just a small comment, I would almost think you would want to mount the sticky side to the boat. Over time this is going to rub your gel/clear/paint or whatever off. If you put the sticky side on the boat, all you have to deal with is some adhesive remover if you ever want to change them and youll be rubbing on the stainless and not the boat. This looks awesome on your boat, and Im assuming you probably wont change these before you sell the boat because it looks like theyll last a longgggg time. Just was giving my $.02. Cheers.

I thought about that but I believe the stock ones have the adhesive on the tower side as well. The "traction nubs" are made of the same stuff as the entire pad so there shouldnt be any worries of this rubber going thru the gelcoat. Either way would probably work fine though. one quick note, if you put the pad on the tower first you know that anywhere the tower leg touches the boat it will be protected. If you put it on the boat first you may misjudge where the tower leg sets by an 1/8th of an inch and then have a aluminum rubbing gelcoat issue.

Great looking work there!

Quick question: what's up with the swirl pattern in the paint? It looks cool whatever it is!

proper installation per XTP is to mount the adhesive side to the tower. Doing it the other way causes the pad to creep out from under the tower foot.
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand