Thread: stering Problem

Default stering Problem

I have a 04 Mobius LS and usually have atleast 8 people in the boat at all times. On take off while pulling a wake boarder sometimes I have this loud cracking noise and a little vibration in the stering wheel. Does anyone else have this problem and what can I do about it.

Default Replying to Topic 'stering Problem'

how do the "locals" prove the weight in the boat? do they have scales they make everybody step on at the docks? sounds like something i would take to court...

Sounds to me like you have the steering wheel turned one way or the other when you hit the gas? If that is the case, when you hit the throttle the prop is blasting your rudder all of a sudden with a tremendous amount of force(water). The rudder being turned one way or the other is catching the brunt of the force which you can hear until you straighten the wheel. Does that sound about right? No problems, just keep the wheel straight when you accelerate hard out tha hole.
    Hear me now, listen later, and understand me some other time.

Oh yea, by the way we run 1900lbs(sacs) plus 8ppl regularly. Our water patrol waves to us. Obviously not near as strict as where inliner is. Have fun.
    Hear me now, listen later, and understand me some other time.

The spec plate is not erquired on boats over 20' in length, just take it off if you are having problems.

Holy crap, Inliner, those guy are butal where you live! Come up to Caroline and weight her down! -Just kidding.

pcasey, latchkey is right. My wheel does the same thing when you gas it and you are not straight. I always thought it was kinda suppose to do that. I am sure its the force of the water off the prop against the steering rudder.

noneya, what is the spec plate?

Eric B.

I've read that before about the spec plate. Is it law or not? I always figured it was for liability purposes. I always run with 1000#'s + 6 people. Boat is no where near sinking. We added a bow cover and the water dosen't come in anymore. If anyone has more info about the spec plate not needed on 20 and above I would love to see it in writing. Thanks

I've read that before about the spec plate. Is it law or not? I always figured it was for liability purposes. I always run with 1000#'s + 6 people. Boat is no where near sinking. We added a bow cover and the water dosen't come in anymore. If anyone has more info about the spec plate not needed on 20 and above I would love to see it in writing. Thanks

blue surf,
    what kind of bow cover are you talking about??

I have been pulled over by both the local and the Coast Guardes here in maryland. They all have done safty checks both times i had 6 people on board plus 1200 pounds in the boat (factory plus 2 sacks next to the engine box visible (Outback LS)) They have asked to see the life jackets and asked to see 2 of them I gave them 2 that were NCGA. I guess I lucked out.

Back to the weight issue my steering virbrates pretty bad when the wheel is turned and gas is hit. So i believe the boat is just under laod with lots of prop splash on the rudder.