Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Moomba LSV

The bimini will not survive a trip to Norris. The mirror needs a tower to really hold it in place. I like the mirror high ont he tower.

I woudl not be an easy sell -- I like my roll bar.

After seeing the 2011 MasterCraft and Nautique towers I think the timing is PERFECT. This tower looks great, and while it may be several years old in terms of style, it's so much better looking than the current competition. My guess is that it will sell like crazy.

For me, no Z5 option is a deal breaker.

I guess it is the mechanical engineer in me that loves the existing tower. It looks like it was designed for function first but ended up being one of the prettiest towers I have ever seen. Again this is subjective and without having any FEA results I cannot say which is a better design. With that being said it appears (and I could be wrong) that beauty over function has won out here. I really don't like the new tower, one of the things I don't like about all the other manufacturers was their tower styling. I like function over form but if you end up with an elegant design you win on both accounts. The old tower did have the load distributed over 4 different attachment points that were separated by a large distance on the hull. I would have to think that with just two mounting points, with a small footprint for both, that the hull had to be strenghtened up greatly in that area, did this add additional weight? I don't believe it can be as functionally as strong and better load distributing as the old tower attachment. And as far as that area goes, I agree with outers, we had a tower tucked away neatly near the windsheild out of the way for getting in and out of the boat. Now we have a tower limiting easy entry.
    While it looks Cool Aero Stylish, I vote..............Don't be a follower and stick to what works! I get so many compliments on my boat now, I don't care to to be Swoopy!

PS One of the greatest options is the Z5, will it work here, my guess is that if they do get it to work it will look out of place due to the fact that it is round tubing. It matches the existing design but might look dorky in this application.
    Last edited by zegm; 08-05-2010 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zegm View Post
    The old tower did have the load distributed over 4 different attachment points that were separated by a large distance on the hull.
    Four? My Outback factory tower has six attachment points. And I really do prefer the "old tower" over the new design. In addition to its attractive form and sturdy engineering, the old tower does not block my line of site and provides a handy place for hanging gloves and life jackets to dry between use.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Quote Originally Posted by deerfield View Post
    Four? My Outback factory tower has six attachment points. And I really do prefer the "old tower" over the new design. In addition to its attractive form and sturdy engineering, the old tower does not block my line of site and provides a handy place for hanging gloves and life jackets to dry between use.
    If it wasn't dark out I would run down to the dock and take a picture to show you where my wife puts all the life jackets after a hard day on the lake!!! And this is the only time it blocks our line of site!
    Yeah 6 attachment points is even better for sharing the load!
    What are they thinking! You know Porsche tried to kill the 911 (aircooled engine had trouble with EPA regs) with the 928. And what happened, the 928 got called the Doctors car, no real Porsche owner bought one and it is now gone rest in peace! That simple classic design (911) that came out in the early 60's is still going strong today!
    Now there are 2 types of boat owners on our lake, the F-22/F-15 pilots that I know that have Moombas, another engineer I know with a Moomba Outback and of course our LS. All the other brand skiboats are owned by Doctors and Dentist! I know this because I am good friends with the guy that works on them all. Doctors cars, doctors boats!
    Last edited by zegm; 08-05-2010 at 11:13 PM.

Has the Hull been redesigned on the LSV for 2011? The 2011 LSV shows 2 centre fins not 3 as before.
    2006 LSV

Quote Originally Posted by zegm View Post
    If it wasn't dark out I would run down to the dock and take a picture to show you where my wife puts all the life jackets after a hard day on the lake!!! And this is the only time it blocks our line of site!
    Yeah 6 attachment points is even better for sharing the load!
    What are they thinking! You know Porsche tried to kill the 911 (aircooled engine had trouble with EPA regs) with the 928. And what happened, the 928 got called the Doctors car, no real Porsche owner bought one and it is now gone rest in peace! That simple classic design (911) that came out in the early 60's is still going strong today!
    Now there are 2 types of boat owners on our lake, the F-22/F-15 pilots that I know that have Moombas, another engineer I know with a Moomba Outback and of course our LS. All the other brand skiboats are owned by Doctors and Dentist! I know this because I am good friends with the guy that works on them all. Doctors cars, doctors boats!
    That's funny! I've found that the knowledge one has is not necessarily predicated by the size of their paycheck. In fact, a lot of times the more one makes the less they know about MONEY and the inverse ratio seems to grow exponentially. Go figure that one!

Probably not where you were going with your post but brought that thought o mind

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

I R engineer and own a moomba aswell. In my opinion its a great quality boat. I've been around epic's, nautiques and bu's. Yea they have the bells and whistles, but who needs that stuff? You can add it for cheaper than they will charge you. Guys I know with epic and bu's all had too much money and never learned anything about there boats and end up destroying then and paying big bucks to get them fixed. Moombas are a working man's(person's to be PC) boat. All the functionality you need without all the extra costs. Just my 2 cents.

Also didnt that tower with mastercraft and malibu have alot of problems with stress cracking in the paint and chipping? Heard of some malibu's with that chipping in the first summer. Hope XTP didn't something about that.
    Last edited by SC_LSV; 10-07-2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: added comment
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV Black/Grey
    Board - 08 Ronix Covin / 08 Ronix Cells
    Surf - CWB Tsunami
    Audio - 6 - JL M650-CCX 6.5" in boat
    2 - JL M770-ETX 7.7" on Tower
    2 - JL 10" W1 Subs
    JL M6600W & JL M1700W Amps

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    That's funny! I've found that the knowledge one has is not necessarily predicated by the size of their paycheck. In fact, a lot of times the more one makes the less they know about MONEY and the inverse ratio seems to grow exponentially. Go figure that one!

Probably not where you were going with your post but brought that thought o mind

There's the Dentist Investment Rule - Never invest in anything if Dentists are agressively pursuing it. Dentists do okay $$ wise and as a result they are agressively marketed due by stockbrokers, arrangers, investors seekers and CON MEN. A lot of them get burned at least once by only looking at the returns and not risk.

Could be the same in boats and cars.
    06 LSV
    2 - 750lb Fatsacks, Custom Sunbrella Cover and Bimini, Kenwood KMR440MU and Amp Bazooka Tower Speakers, Aerial Mirror, Stargazer, 4 Port Heater.

Toys - O'Brien Natural, CWB Pure, IS Yellow Loogie, CWB Ride, Hyperlite Voyageur for the kids.

Do you know why there is such a high suicide rate among Dentists? It's because they are always looking down in the mouth!

As told to me by my old highschool German teacher. Bad joke eh?
    2011 President's Trophy - Check
    2011 Western Confernece Champs - Check
    2011 Stanley Cup Champs - Not so Much....

2007 Outback V