Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Running the Engine Out of the Water

I have been reading where people are running their engine briefly out of the water and I would like to remind them that the water is also the lubricant for the impeller. If you are at idle (for simplicity 600 rpm) then the pump will rotate at 10 rev/sec. Indmar has something to say also. My mechanic back in 2002 when I last saw him mentioned the same thing and stated the failure can occur within "seconds" which tells me not to do it.

http://www.indmar.com/About/ContactIndmar/faq.html

"NEVER run your engine without it being in the water or without water supplied to the engine. The impeller will be damaged within a very short time and the engine may be damaged if it is allowed to run for long without cooling water."
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Thanks for the reminder. I've heard people say the same thing- that it's ok to run it briefly out of the water. Well when my neighbor had his used supra delivered the guy who trucked it cross country wanted to start it up for him in the driveway to show him that it runs OK. Well it did- in the driveway but when he took it out to the lake for the first time the impeller was shot and it made for a frustrating first boat owning experience for him.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Yeah, not smart. Don't do it.
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

Moomba offers an optional part specifically for hooking up a garden hose for a water supply. It allows one to run the engine at idle speed when out of the water. I forget what it's called, but it's installed in the transmission compartment and attaches to the engine's water intake hose.

My dealer found this option to be so important for servicing that he includes them in every boat purchase.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

It is called a fresh water flush system. I did a quick google search and came up with this one.

http://www.shock-wave.info/flush-pro...kit-1215-p.asp

There are some of us that have made our own.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Quote Originally Posted by jester View Post
    It is called a fresh water flush system.
    Thanks. Yes, that's it.

I should also mention that it's the same function that might be better known as a "fake-a-lake" for outboard and I/O drive systems. These have cups that attach externally, fitting over the outboard's water intake ports. That's a challenge to do for inboard systems, so the inline flush system is what we use instead.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

Thanks for the advice, I knew it would not be a problem for the motor, but I didn't realize the impeller needed fresh water for lubercation.
    07 LSV

Yes fake a like is a better way and is used all over. Also if you are running the engine on a fake a like do not put it in gear. The prop was not meant to turn outside of water. It is bad for the shaft since that is also water lubed but also a safety issue.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Hooking my fake-a-lake up to the v-drive also supplies the dripless shaft seal with water (lots of it, actually.)

Well, there's water in there from last time you used it so a few seconds shouldn't give it time to dry out. And, you change it every year so it's always a fresh soft one in there. Can't see how this would hurt.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!