Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hit a Stump

My boat is an 03, I saw somewhere where the strut is suppose to be bent to the left. Wonder how hard it is for a repair shop to find out if it is bent.

I've owned a Malibu, a Master Craft and Now an 06 Moomba LSV plus I've looked at serveral others and I've never seen nor heard of one that is supposed to bent to the left. I feel certain that the strut and drive shaft should be straight in line with the rudder.....

I did the same thing a few months back. Bent my shaft, strut & rudder - I have a stainless prop so it did not damage to that - however I wish I had a different prop, then maybe only the prop would have been damaged.

If there is vibration, I am willing to bet that the shaft is bent, possibly the strut as well.

Good luck! For sure an insurance claim - it was right at $3k for the dealer to fix mine (with some small fiberglass cracks as well that was a result of the stump).

to determine if the prop shaft is bent and or a bent strut...undo the 4- 9/16 coupler bolts between the prop shaft and the trans/or vdrive . check for alignment, rotate 180 degrees and check again....if the gaps change then you have a bent propshaft, if thegaps vary significantly from left to right side you have a bent strut as well.....that is assuming the motor and prop shaft were in alignment before the accident

my .02 only
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by LSM View Post
    I've owned a Malibu, a Master Craft and Now an 06 Moomba LSV plus I've looked at serveral others and I've never seen nor heard of one that is supposed to bent to the left. I feel certain that the strut and drive shaft should be straight in line with the rudder.....
    the drive shaft is left of the rudder ( or right) so you can remove the drive shaft with out removing the rudder, and to counter the rotational prop forces?

my .02
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Thank you all for the help. I think it's going to the shop. I want the hull checked out and want to make sure everything is alright. Just hope it doesn't take them forever...

I don't see any signs of damage in the hull, I believe, like others here, that something else has to be bent. I will try and snap some pics before I take it in, just to join the "What not to do" group... LOL

Thank you all again for the help!