Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Ian I just read your last post. I'm not sure I would even consider a hamstring graft. Hopefully you are referring to a patellar tendon graft.
    2007 Mobius LS

Quote Originally Posted by bbyquist View Post
    Ian I just read your last post. I'm not sure I would even consider a hamstring graft. Hopefully you are referring to a patellar tendon graft.
    Yea, I believe that is what he recommended. I think he said hamstring is usually what they do in girls and middle aged people, but I could be confused, it was a lot to take in.
    2013 Outback V

Ian it really depends on what they use to fix the graft with. If you have to have ACL, PCL you will need two grafts and they will use hamstring and BTB (Patellar Tendon). It would be better if they used hamstring for ACL and an Achilles tendon Allograft for the PCL. I would probably have Allograft for both if it was me. I would have an Anterior Tib for the ACL and Achilles for PCL. Benefit is way less pain and shorter time to get your range of motion back. The bad side is they are not as strong as Autograft (from your own body) and the re-tear rate is a little higher. But lets face it most of us are not high level athletes anymore. The surgeon makes more difference than graft and I will have you covered on that. Once you find a great surgeon I would let them use what they are comfortable with.

Default We need to talk

I don't know if you remb. but I skied with you last summer. I use to live in ferndale. I run a sports physical therapy clinic in Auburn Hills, which I have some of the best knee ortopedic dr's in the area. You should come out this week to check it out. 937 N. Opdyke. P.S I hate the hamstring only graft for ACL. I rehab about 100-200 ACL/ knee surgery a year and I know what works. Who did you see? I have a few guess either DR. Anderson or Schitzski ???? Let me know if i can help I will set you up right man

Ian - my personal experience from complete patellar tendon separation is do NOT touch your patellar tendon. Also, my experience from many, quick count is 10+, friends (hey, I'm older and still very active) is that anything other than cadaver is going to get re-blown out in around 5-8 years.

Opinions will always differ, but I'm just sayin...

BTW, I know one guy who's had both shoulders repaired, both knees repaired (with grafts) and one knee re-repaired with cadaver. He still skis, hikes 14'ers, wakeboards, and plays softball weekly with me - he's my hero...

Sled491 Guest

Ian, I have been away, first OUCH!!!, second seems to be lots advice here, and while I'm no Dr. most of these guys sound pretty knowledgable. My neighbour on the lake here is supposed to be one of the top Orthopedic Surgeons around so if this ever happens to me I'm covered

In my younger days I have blown just about everything in both knees, some ligs more than once. As I reach mid 40's my left knee has almost zero lateral support, but as a day to day thing I can live with it. I ski hard almost every day and still hold my own so fear not you'll be just fine.

I agree with bbyquist. I've seen great result when you go into surgery with good range of motion and minimal swelling. As for graft material, at the end of the day if you rehab the heck out of your knee it all works out well. Of course this is up for debate. Personally i would not touch the patella tendon.
    _________
    09 OB V

Turns out I blasted my acl and pcl, and have sprained my mcl and lcl. I have surgery scheduled for 9/30. Because I wrecked everything hey have to use cadaver tissue. I guess I'll be in an immobilizer for 1-3 months, and after that PT for another 3-6.

Ring now I have about as much range of motion as possible with the injuries: 0-130
    Last edited by ian ashton; 09-04-2010 at 01:36 PM.
    2013 Outback V

Sled491 Guest

Ouch, well at least it's the end of the season.

On a lighter note, I can tell you that Ian has really perfected his driving skills, and although he won't be pulling any rope for a while, we do plan on continuing our "usual" seaon, which means the boat won't be yanked out of the water until mid October and we will hold out into November before packing her away.

Bashton