Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Wreckedmy knee skiing, wrecked my season... WARNING -Pics

I'm posting from a hospital bed Yesterday, on our first day of vacation I went for a ski behind my boat. I didn't throw my ski on the boat, so I figured I'd just pull on the generic kick that Lauras mom uses. Big mistake. 1 SMALL cut, hit the wake weird and went sailing.

I dislocated my leg from my knee, apparently the rarest of knee injuries. Wonderful. Not sure if I need surgery, I just can't wait to be discharged so I can enjoy the rest of my vaca, on crutches.
    2013 Outback V

OH DANG, Ian! That sucks!! Hope you get feeling better soon.

Ouch! That looks painful!

Seeing those pictures brought back memories... When I was still coaching football we had a senior captain that suffered the same injury. I still have images of his lower leg flopping around like a wet noodle. He of course lost his entire senior season but made a full recovery. I can remember him laying on his side just like Ian. We rolled him over to stabilize his leg and prep him for the EMT's and the joint realigned. It seemed to be a huge relief (pain or otherwise) when it slipped back to where it was supposed to be.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Ian I hope you get better soon!

2 years ago we are going to teach someone how to water ski. BUT! They want to see someone do it first. I say OK I will show you so I grab the pairs skiis which I haven't been on in years and jump in the water. Somehow I hit a wake from another boat in weird fashion and end up falling. I fell forward and my left leg stayed in the ski on top of the water. This meant my straight leg went past my left ear as my body entered the water. I torn my left hamstring almost in half, I stretched the nerve so bad that my foot was completely numb for hours. My wife had to drag me up the hill at our house in a landscaping wagon to get me in the car to take me to the hospital. Like you I was in the emergency room in pain. The bad part is they couldn't do much for my injury, I went from a 7 minute mile runner to a 11 minute mile runner now and it has taken 2 years to get that far. Hopefull your knee will heal up completely and you will be fine. And most important of all I have a new rule I ONLY SKI ON MY SKI!

And the person we were going to teach to ski has refused to try it now!

Again I hope you get better soon! Buy some waterski videos to watch while you heal!

Sorry to hear it Ian! I wish u a speedy recovery. Keep your spirits up - you'll be back behind the boat before u know it.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Wow - that is horrible on so many levels. Hope they are giving you good pain killers. Go easy on it till it heals. You are young and letting it heal properly will ensure many more years of skiing ... I almost drowned long ago when I took a run on a ski I had never been on - landed hard and knocked myself out. Fortunately nothing needed surgery.

Hope you can recover without surgery...

Get well soon.
    Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Ian, very sorry to hear of this misfortune. Our prayers are with you for a speedy recovery. We hope you are back on the water and 100% again soon.

Kaneboats Family
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Ian, best wishes for a speedy recovery! This reminds me of how my 2006 snow skiing season got cut short after I broke my left leg during President's Day week. I healed quickly and was back on the slopes by opening day Friday after Thanksgiving that same year.
    2007 LSV - All red
    Wetsounds PRO 80's WS420 Eq
    Acme 1433

Ian, best wishes and get well soon. that really sucks about the knee. I blew out my knee one week before a trip to breckinridgeback in the mid 90's not fun..... get better soon
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold