Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I want a new board now...Thoughts appreciated

Now that all of the frustration is gone of learning without the rope, I have progressed fairly quickly and now I want a new board that is faster and more manageable for tricks. I like the skim style baords. I am 6'2" and about 195 lbs and thses are my thoughts on the new board. I would like to gather all of the input I can since I will be dropping at least $6 bones on this board. I don't want to make a mistake and buy the wrong board. I went to look at some triple x boards. They look a little thick and slow. They didn't have a demo for me to try out so I have kind of crossed them out unless someone has a mind blowing experience with them. Here is what I have narrowed it down to. I am still very open to all other suggestions. I am riding a Phase 5 Oogle right now.

Inland Surfer Sweet Spot
    Inland Surfer 4 Skim Yellow ( I think the Moss is too small for me)
    Phase 5 Drew Danielo Pro Carbon

I like the Specs on the IS Sweet Spot the most. Seems like it has a wider range of wake sizes, abilities, rider weights. The only thing I am worried about is the swallow tail design for riding "switch". No worries with that on the other 2 models, but on the other 2 models if I gain a little weight, I'm out of their weight range.

Bring the suggestions on.
    '09 OBV

I have both the 4skim from inland and a danielo pro(although not the carbon variety). the 4skim is very very slick and spins easily. I find the danielo a little slower across the wake and takes a little more to keep it going in the pocket, but it's def. more stable.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Your right about the concern of the sweetspot. There's one for sale over on towanza.com and they have trouble with 3's and switch ($400).

I ride a drew C small. I'm at the weight limit and still freeride with my 30lb just turned 4yr old son as long as we want. I do have to work at staying in the pocket but goes to show you can get away with being over the limit (I have a big wave). Wife who is 120lbs dropped down to ride the kid's Phase5 scamp again 30lbs over the weight rating.

4-skim is very comparible to the Drew Large and some say slightly faster. I see more people riding phase5 at surf comps than 4-skims FWIW although the moss is getting popular.

Don't worry about a board at the max rating. Keep the Oogle just in case Thanksgiving dinner isn't nice to you. It'll be an incentive every year Not to put on the winter insulation.

If you need to up your wave, we've talked about adding weight to the wrong side to get more push.

I have video of my 205lb friend riding my 160lb max Drew Carbon Small all day and he's a noob.

sandm,
    how many fins do you run on the 4 skim. seems like if it is very squirlly then i can run with 2 fins or even 3 to make it a little more stable.

spoon
    '09 OBV

only has one. it's the '08 pink version. has one speedline fin around 4-5" long and only about 1.5" down. real small. I've swapped it out for a larger one once, but really didn't notice that much difference.
    fwiw, 5'11" and around 190.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Smile

the drew pro carbon is supposed to be faster than the tex. stability and speed....hmmmmm...decisions, decisions.....
    '09 OBV

Hey spoon03....I had the same problem. I weight 195.. 6 feet tall and I had a hard time surfing without a rope. I had a phase 5 prop and a hyperlite broadcast and never surfed without a rope for more than 5 seconds. I change my board to a Phase 5 Drew Danielo Pro Carbon but XL... Good for guys up to 230 lbs. With just one skinny wife plus 1200 lb of ballast. I succeeded to surf without a rope on my first try. That was back in late may. Right now I can pull off, 1 time out of 4 times a 360 and just last friday I succeeded in starting wakesurfing off the boat`s deck without a rope ...surf and come back in....again without a rope. Not bad for a 42 year old.

Quick tips to help you surf without a rope

1. your front foot should be on the edge your board toward the wave (not in the middle of the board for better balance but on the edge of your board !!! ). Your big toe should be a little off cushion for first time riders without a rope. Keep your weight on your toes which will keep you in the wave

2. keep your board pointing towards the middle of your deck at all times . That will keep you in the wave for most of the time.

3.Now your only problem is to work the gas and break pedal. Move your hips towards the front of your board to increase speed and bring them back to decrease speed. Moving your hips is the best way to move your weight from front to back.

I bought Drew Drew Danielo dvd, on all you want to know about learning to wakesurf. And honestly it was only good for hard technical tricks. I learn the hard way to surf without a rope ..by myself !!!! Now I can surf as long as I want without a rope and do some tricks and while keeping myself young. Enjoy my pointers...I wish that someone would had wrote them down for me.... It would had save me a couple of hours of swearing...4FISH4
    Last edited by 4fish4; 07-27-2010 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4fish4 View Post
    ... Not bad for a 42 year old.

...and while keeping myself young. 4FISH4
    I got news for you, 42 is the new 21. You ain't old.

Your right !!!!!!!!

I have the Phase 5 Razz and I love it... it's skim style but they made it a little thicker for better flotation. I can surf it no problem, 360's, shuvits, you name it, with 1000 pounds of ballast in an '05 LSV.

I am close to your stats, 6"2 and 212 pounds.