Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Dealer

Hey Ronnie,

I believe the closet dealer to our area is Rusty Biddle at Knoxville Watersports. He's really good and might be able to help you out. The phone number to his store is 865-539-0589 and his cell is 865-300-9002. Hope that helps.

Kevin

Default Windshield spread, hot topic

I am getting in late with this discussion. I noticed that the windshield gap when on the trailer is wider than on the water. I recently found a small crack in my gelcoat and was wondering is this hull flex/spread could be the culprit.
    KG

Default Windsshield spread

It is interesting that I had just started reviewing the history on this to see if I had missed any comments.
    So far we have discovered that there is not a Hull Warranty transfer process if you are not original owner. We have also discovered that this is a bigger problem than the manufacturer would like to admit and that the problem really does not appear to be the windshield, but the hull.

In addition, we have discovered that although certain members of the manufacturers staff monitor and participate on this board, and are extremely helpful in most cases, they are generally tight lipped about this particular problem.

My guess is that there are some topics they have been instructed to not get into in public.

Right now this is more of an annoyance than anything. However the prospect of flexing fiberglass over time and the resulting structural damage is a source of some concern.

Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Dave,

Yeah, putting the blind eye to it.

Default Blind Eye

Corporate response on this issue is a concern, but we have to remember that this is probably a corporate position and not harass the staff that is so helpful on this board. I personally find their participation very helpful.

I don't know how many boats they sell a year, but if this were a widespread problem and they were forced to handle this somehow it could force them out of business if it turrned out to be a hull defect. Chance are there is nothing that can be done to fix all the hulls that might be involved that would allow them to still stay in business.

It would be nice if they would perhaps provide a little aftermarket kit that could be applied to the window channels that would allow for adjustment of the window to compensate for the drift.

Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Default Windshield not the problem

The windshield is not my major concern. I am worried about the integrity of the hull in the long run. Also, as I mentioned on a previous post, I have a crack in my gelcoat and am wondering if the hull flex and spread is the culprit.
    KG

My boat is put away for the winter but one possible solution for identifying if it is the hull or not (if you have a tower) would be placing a pull type scale between the tower uprights (starboard and port) low to the hull. Tensioning it to approximately 25 pounds and watching it as you drive around through different conditions. I am assuming that the force causing the spread is quite great and the scale will not have an impact on the spread. Because of this the travel of the scale will be equal to the spread of the hull. One other problem is bounce in the rope holding the scale. A piece of "c" channel or heavy cardboard bent into a C should take care of this problem allowing the rope and scale to be supported continuously from port to starboard.

Note: the scale would have to be installed while the boat is in its normal position (on the trailer, on a lift). Then left in place with the boat in its normal position to allow for the hull to return back to see if the scale is still at the 25 pounds or if the rope or knots have stretched.

I understand that I may have confused many of you but hopefully someone understands my method. Come spring I will have to try this out myself on a Mobius, although is sounds like it is mostly outback owners that are having this problem.
    You don't know unless you try

Default most people not concerned?????

As someone who has been planning on buying a new Moomba in January I must say I am scared to death about hull integrity after watching this thread.

Are most moomba owners not experiencing this and happy with their boats????????????????

55Chevy,

We have a 2000 Moomba Outback L/S which we bought new. We have not experienced this windshield issue at all.

If we have our walkthru closed and just blast our way through rough water you can see the slightest expansion between the flip window and captains windshield...But I have experinced this on every boat we have ever owned.

Buy with confidence, and enjoy...

Default No issues Here

We have an 03' Mobius and have not had any issues with the window spread or hull. We are 100% please with the boat and can't wait for Spring so we can get back out there.
    Matt Elliott
    2003 Mobius