Default Engine High temp - I love this forum....

I was running a high temp gauge. I pulled off hoses after engine ran over +220 and during starts/stops it would kick down under 180. I thought it was the pump or the thermostat. As I have read in here on many excellent threads, the first and cheapest check is the aux. trans cooler inlet screen so i pulled hoses and in the screen I found wood, weeds, dirt but most worrisome was small pieces of black rubber with a lip on the end. I thought it might be the impellar from waterpump but after unhooking hoses downside there was sufficient pump action. I ran the boat hard today on Echo during a +30 day and it did not go over 180. If it gets hot again i will probably just replace impellar but will the impellar still function if 1 or two vanes on the impellar are ripped off or could i have blown some other gasket i am not aware of that ended up in screen?

I would replace the impellar. This generally is a simple to do task. I have found that running the boat in shallow or beaching the boat will cause trash to be suck up into the system.

The impellar will still run missing some of the fins. People have posted photo's of their impellar and almost all the fins where missing. If you do change the impellar and it is missing fins try to find them. they might be in the hose from the impellar to the engine or in the impellar casing itself. You might want to keep an extra impellar on the boat. If you get high engine temps then you can pull it at the boat ramp and be back on the water in no time if it was the impellar. It is a part under $50 and can save the day.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

I agree, X2 on the impeller replace/ or spare. I ust picked one up online from GeorgiaWaterSports.com Cheapest I have found at $27, with ship, total was like $36.

I just got my Outback, previous owner "said" it was all summerized and ready, with new impleller too...I have not had any issues, but I could not bear the thought of it failing on the weekend and ruining the trip...so a spare I now carry.

I would also recommend a inlet filter screen..I have one, it clear and you can see and easily clean it..be suprised the stuff you could be pumping through that engine!

thanks, i will order up 2 so i have a spare. I unhooked all hoses and did visual as well as back flush from motor body back. Where do you install your filter screen? Is there a brand that works best? Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Paully View Post
    Where do you install your filter screen? Is there a brand that works best? Thanks again
    Paully,

I think this is what you're talking about. It's a strainer that keeps the crap out of the motor. This is an excellent thread on where to buy and ideas on installation.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....light=strainer

Thanks wolfeman. It is a great thread. Thanks for sharing. I will install one this offseason for next year.

Also if your impeller has come apart likely its will get caught up in you trans cooler/heat exchanger. its the black cyclinder the water travels to after it leaves the impeller. Should be located just forward of the alternator.
    If your impeller is in good shape then there may be debris built up in there and that will cause the same high temp issues.

Good luck!

PWI as usual...

The Impeller is something I would recommend changing every year.

We took a friends Outback out to the Stockton Delta over the 4th of July weekend and her impeller was shot! The motor started sputtering and the temp. gauge was pinned at 220. We cooled the motor down and pulled the impeller out and there were no fins. Luckly we had a friend with a spare impeller that fit her boat. we swapped it out and fired it back up.....knocking like crazy!!! We haven't torn it worn yet, but from the sounds of it its either a broken rod or crank!

156hrs on the boat.