Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Pulling the motor seasons over

Engine Nut and All
    The good almost 420 hours of great family and friend memories. The bad having to do this.
    Last sunday multiple mourning butter ski runs, afternoon swimming and tubing never realized how tubing is like chumming pull 5 or 6 17 year old girls and amazing what appears.
    I had just unloaded everyone and restarted the boat and going to help tow a family that had been dead for 45 minutes with a newborn and no one had stopped to help them. Idled out and powered up and heard a sound like a old hand clacker above 8 to 9 mph. Pulled motor box and listened at idle and heard nothing left cover open heard sound again above 9 mph.
    We pretty sure its one of these three but leaning towards 1

#1 Broken wrist pin--- sound only under load- idle and engine performance seem not to be
    impacted ( not trying to send something through block).

#2 Possible bent or loose rod. --- sound woulld always be present-would not sound correct

#3 spun bearing--argh sure hope not- but it would be pronounced everywhere in its impact

Before its asked oil changed 2-3 times a seasonaround 15 to 20 hours I have maintence OCD
    Engine nut is it possible to get a shop manual or at least parts spec break down,torque specs and such? 02 carb motor
    Guys since I have to go through this would you.
    #1 Replace packing with dripless
    #2 Replace cutlass bearing in strut
    Anything else you can think of?
    Thanks for the input
    CS

One other thing I would check would be the prop and the shaft. Did you try just revving up the engine without having the prop turn?
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Angry

jester thanks unfortunately its in the motor. we checked and rechecked everything.
    CS

Dang. Sorry to hear that. Are you going to rebuild the one you have or just get a new one or a new boat? 420 hours is a good time on the boat. at least you got your use out of her.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Should just be getting broken in at 420.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

defintely hurts. yeah it is just getting broken in at 420 hrs.it has been a one pump turn key and start since i picked it up 8 years ago. unfrotunately no new boat plans not in the budget. one in college and one soon to be. right now until its out i am not sure. really depends on what truly went wrong. have to add up whether a short block is the way to go,machine shop for whats there i just dont know yet. started the disconnection yesterday
    and bought and built the crane truly not a tool i ever wanted to add to my collection. i am hoping larry aka engine nut has a few minutes and pops on. i will take pics and post as i go along.
    CS

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Should just be getting broken in at 420.
    I would certainly hope that this is the case... I don't think that is a lot of hours for any boat.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I am going to pray to the motor gods that when you pull the trans you find a broken flexplate that flexes and clacks under load. I had this happen once in a old car and it would ony clack under load no matter how high you revved it in neutral. Please keep us posted, I have the same year boat and am always nervous when I see a boat with so few hours have huge issues.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

jeese unfortunately the sound is port side #2 or#3 cylinder. stethescoped the block,heads and valve cover to best pinpoint wasnt low and wasnt high thats why i am leaning towards broken wrist pin. will keep all posted
    CS

Its out I hope I can post a few pics. As you can see the last is the painful one
    I want to add we checked the entire block,risers,heads no sign of any leakage prior to pulling it out. Also we looked at the oil and it was clear as it should be. I even removed a quart and did not see any liquid. Only after dropping the pan the horror
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BLKOUTLS; 08-02-2010 at 12:01 PM.
    CS