Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Update

Finally had a chance to actually start disassembling the motor and its finally off the crane and on an engine stand. Removed the trans.exhaust, intake manifolds ,distributor and plugs and wires and such. Then got to the good stuff. Saw more evidence of water then I pulled the port head off . I think the pictures tell it best.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CS

blk - I see the section of missing gasket between two cylinders. But how would does that result in water in the engine? - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Quote Originally Posted by deerfield View Post
    blk - I see the section of missing gasket between two cylinders. But how would does that result in water in the engine? - Deerfield
    Blown head gasket means the water that passes through the block to keep it nice and cool was able to get into the oil from the cylinders.

Pretty cheap fix but the labor is usually pretty intense to replace one.
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

You need to figure out why that head gasket failed. Did your engine run hot ever? Perhaps hot spots between the cylinders? Pre-ignition or detonation? If the engine was ever running weird before this happened might give you some insight. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by deerfield View Post
    i know what you mean, my guess is the water jacket hole is close enough to the broken gasket it allowed water in that way.

I wonder if the head bolts were loose.

Payson , Arizona/Arvada , Colorado/Montana

Bummer, It sure sucks to have that happen mid season. I do feel your pain.. Anyway, did you notice any change in engine performance as in cylinder misfire on at least 1 cyl before the noise? Also it sounds like the engine bearings were ok since there was no debris in the pan at least that is what I could tell from the pics. Head gasket failure happens from a variety of things: cylinder pressure, clamping force , temperature, age, surface irregularities, gasket material defects. I might be missing some other causes but this it what I have found over the years. None the less, as long as you have it torn down that far, might as well ball hone the cylinders and re ring it. New connecting rod bearings just for good measure. Hope I helped.
    Jim.
    05 Mobius lsv , ballast system , stereo, etc..