Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Failed axle = no boat for vacation

I wish I would have noticed this earlier, but glad I didn't notice it any later. The tire is tucked in the fender on the port side. That side is against the wall in my garage so I didn't notice until I pulled the boat out to leave.

I know boatmate will replace the part and that this only happens to 1/1000 trailers. Just sucks that it's my trailer on the day I leave for vacation.

The only reason I'm not crying in a corner right now is that jjolson has a matching boat and will be there too. It will be a full boat but at least I won't be stuck on the shore.

Jerry at Boatmate has always been great in the past and I'm certain they'll step up again. This is a timing frustration more than anything. Boatmate closes shop at 11 on Fridays so I'm guessing it will be Monday before I hear anything.

I got my axle and new fender (paint bubbled due to heat from rubbing) in exactly two weeks from first email. If you haven't emailed Jerry the full info, here's the email he sent me.

"Please provide me with the following info’:

-----name

-----address

-----telephone number

-----trailer’s 17 digit VIN

-----axle serial number……there is a small tag (approximately 1” x 3”) that is spot welded to the bottom of the axle tube

-----date of purchase

-----since it is a Mobius XLV, I assume that it’s a tandem axle trailer……please indicate of the problem is on the front or rear axle

-----since there was damage to other parts on the trailer, I need pic’s of the related damage with a description of the part(s) need to correct the damage (fender, tire, etc…)"

Ed, I hope you don't delete/close this thread either. Axles go bad, we know this, we are not bad mouthing Boatmate because we know they outsource there axles. We have never complained about Boatmates customer service because it's top notch. I still do not know why you deleted the other axle post because we as members provided good info and did not say anything bad about Boatmate. We are providing information based on experience to other members.

Quote Originally Posted by you da man View Post
    I got my axle and new fender (paint bubbled due to heat from rubbing) in exactly two weeks from first email. If you haven't emailed Jerry the full info, here's the email he sent me.

"Please provide me with the following info’:

-----name

-----address

-----telephone number

-----trailer’s 17 digit VIN

-----axle serial number……there is a small tag (approximately 1” x 3”) that is spot welded to the bottom of the axle tube

-----date of purchase

-----since it is a Mobius XLV, I assume that it’s a tandem axle trailer……please indicate of the problem is on the front or rear axle

-----since there was damage to other parts on the trailer, I need pic’s of the related damage with a description of the part(s) need to correct the damage (fender, tire, etc…)"

Ed, I hope you don't delete/close this thread either. Axles go bad, we know this, we are not bad mouthing Boatmate because we know they outsource there axles. We have never complained about Boatmates customer service because it's top notch. I still do not know why you deleted the other axle post because we as members provided good info and did not say anything bad about Boatmate. We are providing information based on experience to other members.
    Thank you very much for the info at the top! I wouldn't have had access to that information come Monday, so you probably saved me quite a bit of time. Seriously, thanks a ton!

As for this thread being deleted, Ed said it well. Everyone keep the gloves up and all will be fine.

One of the leafs springs is broken ?

I was in the same situation last weekend. I strapped a large 6x4 hemlock piece under the upper body of the trailer and let the wood piece sit on the leafs springs right where the U-bolts are. It ended up with a 3 inchs gap between tire and the fender .That left me without suspention on one side of the trailer but i've been realy careful to not hit large bumps and i've been able to carry the boat with me at the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCaron View Post
    One of the leafs springs is broken ?

I was in the same situation last weekend. I strapped a large 6x4 hemlock piece under the upper body of the trailer and let the wood piece sit on the leafs springs right where the U-bolts are. It ended up with a 3 inchs gap between tire and the fender .That left me without suspention on one side of the trailer but i've been realy careful to not hit large bumps and i've been able to carry the boat with me at the lake.
    I don't know if the 08 LSV uses leaf springs on it's trailers but if it's a tandem axle it has torsion axles

It's a torsion axle. It's a 7 hour trip so limping along won't cut it. Oh well, stuff breaks, it sucks, you move on. I'll still get plenty of wakeboarding in I'm sure.

Sorry to hear the bad news. That is why I go on vacation with at least one other boat in case one breaks down. Breaking down in your garage is much better than along the road.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    Sorry to hear the bad news. That is why I go on vacation with at least one other boat in case one breaks down. Breaking down in your garage is much better than along the road.
    When my torsion went out it was on the way back from the ramp to my storage which was only 2 miles thank goodness. Thank God for tandem axle trailers.

I feel your pain. Mine went out 2 block from my house, But we had just gotten home grom a 600mile round trip. It took more than a month to get parts, but I had to go through my dealer. That prolly slowed things down a little.
    Hope it ends up more like AJ's! Dude thats quick!

I was lucky it was the end of the season.
    Last edited by newty; 07-23-2010 at 09:06 PM.

PWI as usual...