Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat lifts

Default Boat lifts

We want to leave our boat in the water during the summer. Just wondering what kind of boat lifts people are using, and what they think of them. We need a covered lift too if that really matters to anyone. Only problem is the water is real shallow at our dock. I don't think a vertical lift will work for us, but I don't know who makes cantilever lifts for inboards.

we have a floating boat lift that fills with air to lift the boat and then lets the air out to launch. works really well. they make a shallow water lift but says you need at least 3 ft of water.

http://boatlift.com/product.aspx?ID=14&PT=1
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by baller40 View Post
    We want to leave our boat in the water during the summer. Just wondering what kind of boat lifts people are using, and what they think of them. We need a covered lift too if that really matters to anyone. Only problem is the water is real shallow at our dock. I don't think a vertical lift will work for us, but I don't know who makes cantilever lifts for inboards.
    What boat do you have and what is the water depth where you'll be putting the lift? We have an Outback on a covered ShoreStation with an add-on 12v motor. The water is only about 3' on one side and 4' on the other side where our lift is. Makes life one hell of a lot easier.
    Attached Images Attached Images

We have a great lakes hoist and which can be 12v or 115dc with a cover, i got the extensions so i do not have to lower the tower. Its in about 3 to 4 ft of water. Boat in the pic is low for entry for riders, otherwise it is hoisted up high.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I have a Hewitt Cantilever lift with an aftermarket (Overtons) 12v motor to lift. I am in 2' up front and 4' in the rear. It could probably work a little lower. I don't think you will find an inboard specific lift, you just adjust the bunks for the skegs, shaft, prop.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

I had a Shoremaster (rested on lakebed with cables that lifted a cradle hoisting the boat) with canvas canopy; the canopy was a nuisance. Canvas canopy must be removed and cleaned every fall, and ducking under it to enter boat was inconvenient. Cranking the lift was no fun, so an upgrade to electric motor is a must. I since abandoned the canvas canopy in favor of floating dock with metal roof, and Shoremaster lift sits in the slip without a canvas cover. This is a much better arrangement IMO - no more ducking under canopy to enter boat or cleaning canopy in off-season. It does not keep the sun and rain off the boat like the canvas canopy did, though. Ours sits in shallow water (at least the bow is in shallow water) - perhaps 3 feet.
    2010 Outback

Reese350 Guest

I have the covered cantilever lift from Great Lakes Lifts for me 07 Outback. Works great.

I have an inboard specific lieft from http://www.vibomarine.com/. The one I am using is the 3600lb with the notch in the rear cradle for the drive shaft/prop. This allows you to be pretty shallow, but can't say how shallow.. I think the front of the lift is about knee deep, and could probably be a little lower.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

I have a shoremaster rated to 5000lbs. As previous previously posted they also make a shallow water lift but is quite a bit more money. Ours is in about 6 ft of water and works great. You'll need power at the dock. here's a pic.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body!
    2009 Outback V

The depth on the river varies day to day because of the hydroelectic plants around town. Usually the front of the boat is 2-3 feet, with the back of the boat about 3-3.5 feet. We need to get the outback out of the water, and a canopy wouldn't necessarily be needed, but would be nice. Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it.