Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

now that's an awesome picture

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Benson - I think you were the one several weeks ago who told me to change grip. Based on your suggestion, I now have right hand palm up, just like baseball bat grip, with left foot forward in ski. The grip change makes a difference. Shoulders are in a better position and get a stronger pull. Thanks! - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Quote Originally Posted by BensonWdby View Post
    )

Here is a photo of Jamie B. (I think - on a Connelly anyhow) coming into the wake on his strong side.
    Note:
    1. Ski on edge
    2. Eyes NOT looking at bouy
    3. 'Long' arms, i.e., not bent at the elbows, no longer pulling.
    4. Left foot forward, left palm down (right handed baseball grip)
    5. Head up, NOT in line with rest of body
    6. Butt = close to water - i.e., good angle and balanced over the ski with ski between him and boat.
    7. NOT standing up flat on the ski with separation between hands and thighs (sure he is not touching thighs, but still....)
    8. Monster spray without even trying..
    Note:

1. Started skiing at age 5.
    2. Skiing is his full time job.
    3. People give him skis, boats, etc.
    4. He is 2/3s my age.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

MP
    All of that is so true. I wish I had had the opportunities I have now when I was much younger and it would have been nice to have the internet for this kind of learning. Everything I learned was by trial and error, anecdotes from my Dad, Waterski mags, and early exposure to the course and some guys who skied better than me.

But despite J.B. history, still a good example of proper mechanics that we can strive for. I am learning more about this sport now than I have in the last 30 years. Going to a coach is a big part of that. Skiing with other people who are enthusiastic and competent is a big help.

I am into enough this year to drop the $$ and go to The Liquid Edge to ski with Wade in June and in two weeks I am going back there to ski with Andy Mapple. Granted this is probably more about my ego than anything, but it is nice to be able to spend time in the boat with people who really 'get it' when it comes to slalom. I hope to actually learn something while I am there. But honestly it takes a while for stuff to sink in so may be a delayed reaction - even to next year. But I actually feel like I am skiing better now than I have ever skied - or at least close to where I was a couple years ago - since I never really made it to 36mph, skiing 34mph is natural for me.

If you have to slow down to 26 - try it. I have never done it, but I know it can be done. It will force you to maintain line control.

Most important - have fun and don't get discouraged. And don't overdo it.

Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have a lot of friends at work who come out on the boat, but all they want to do is wakeboard. A few have tried the ski, but none have interest, let alone a passion.
    I am progressing, but without a course it is hard to measure. If I weren't moving next year, I would have purchased a portable course this year.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I have a lot of friends at work who come out on the boat, but all they want to do is wakeboard. A few have tried the ski, but none have interest, let alone a passion.
    I am progressing, but without a course it is hard to measure. If I weren't moving next year, I would have purchased a portable course this year.
    You know MrsZ and I are going to buy some new bouys for the guy that built the course in front of his house. We are lucky to have one so we need to help out and make sure it always stays there. The other "newer" course is out in alligator country! The guys that put it up went out there one day and 2 bouys were missing. Well they found out that actually an 8ft. alligator got tangled up in the lines and drug the bouys down with him where he died of suffication!

Cool

Man did i get a lesson today. We went to a local lake that had a course and after waiting our turn and met the owners we were told to have at it. Well this season i Thought i was skiing decent Open water. Well Holy crap. Came blasting into the course at 21 off.
    Big mistake. Rounded ball one late and tryed to hang on for 2 and Cartwheeled right outta my ski on 2.
    Quickly realized ,this is way different. Slowed the boat to 30mph and shoulda lenghtened rope but was too stubborn . Did gate .missed 1 ball got 2 got 3 then missed 4 and crashed HARD. I will have a bruise ass and ego tommorrow. adjusted speed to 32 Finally settled down and pretended to ski mini course and did fine.What a wake up call,just the same. Glad i coming down south to Ski school soon as i really need some coaching. Now my ego ,ASS and mental game are all off.
    Oh well it was a gorgeous day and just good to get out just the same.
    07 Outback DD

Drop it to 28 mph at 15 off - you might surprise yourself...
    As far as open water vs. course. I ran 41 off at 32 mph in open water with a light chop today. But sitll struggling to get 15 off at 32 in course. Spending next weekend with Andy Mapple - hope to come away with something...

Quote Originally Posted by BensonWdby View Post
    Spending next weekend with Andy Mapple - hope to come away with something...
    that's awesome Dave, is he coming to the liquid edge also? sounds like you're getting coached by some of the world's greatest skiers this summer!
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Yes he is coming to The Liquid Edge this coming weekend.. I would recommend that you come down but looks like the schedule is booked...