Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

sorry to hear that- my thoughts/prayers are with you
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

So sorry to hear. Hope all goes well.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Thanks - good news is that they got it all in the first pass so I will be back in the water within 2 weeks.

Back to topic.

1. slow it down
    2. got to 15 off.
    3. Don't be afraid to practice one thing at a time. When I was at The Liquid Edge in June Doug had me working on just a couple of things, with no regard to whether I made the course or not. In my case we were working on gates because I was hitting my opening pass consistently. He would power down in the middle of the course as soon as it was obvious that I was not implementing (sometimes).
    4. It is all one continuous motion that starts with a good relaxed pull out and glide prior to the gates. At 28 mph you would wait until the back of the boat is through the start gate before cutting for the gate.
    5. If going to a school is not in the cards, consider video coaching at http://www.proskicoach.com/, they also have a very good forum focused almost exclusive on slalom.
    6. If you stare at the bouys you will end up skiing directly to them and be late on every turn.
    7. Here is a good video on gates and wake crossing: http://waterskimag.com/videos/2010/0...rossings-ever/
    Last edited by BensonWdby; 07-23-2010 at 10:24 PM.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

To explain to a non-skier what course skiing is all about, I tell them it's like a golfer who only goes to the driving range until one day someone tells them that golf is actually played on a golf course.
    2007 Moomba Outback
    99.999% Slalom, 0.001% Wakeboarding

Nice video Dave, Congrats on the ranking.

So here is another question guys. I'm skiing double boots and I'm wondering what the set-up should be. Do you pivot the rear boot to open stance and how much? I was skiing with family/friends over the weekend that are more seasoned than I am. They ski RTP and I noticed they had better knee positions (touching all the time) in photos. It seems that the RTP allows that position easier??? My front boot is mounted in neutral position and rear boot is back a bit, both dead straight (ski is a 67 Triumph and Venoms, 5'10'' 168lbs). Any suggestions?
    2008 LS

There seem to be a lot of theories about foot position. My first recommendation is contact the ski manufacturer and ask for the stock settings for your ski. My experience indicates that you need to get your form in good shape before you try subtle changes to tweek. At the same time, if your ski settings do not match manufacturer settings yo don't really have a baseline to work from.

Personally I ski with a RTP and for decades I was set up in line. This year, as I moved to a new ski with 50 lbs less body weight I had some trouble adjusting so I played with the bindings a bit. I moved both front and back forward all the way and then rotated back foot just a bit (counter clockwise for RFF). Based on expert recommendation I moved the front foot back to stock (middle hole), but left my back foot close and rotated. Personally I think back toes should be touching front heal, but I am no expert for sure...

I am skiing much better now than in the early part of the year, but spending 5 consecutive days with a coach has had a big influence on that. For me the issue is that I am just not that consistent and self aware to actually tell if binding or fin adjustments are making a difference, or if I just had a bad/good run. That is slowly changing over the last couple years, but still would benefit from professional advice.

So I had a chance to run the course at my buddies place in Eastern WA last weekend (not as much as I hoped). Could not make it to 3rd bouy, always late. First two no problems, 28mph 15 off . What to do next to make third? I know if I can get 3 I'll get 4th.
    2008 LS

I am no coach and I am not that good in the course, and recently I have come to doubt all I thought a I knew about slalom. However, if you are late to 3 at 28 mph I would say most likely you do not have your wake crossing dialed in. See if you can get a copy of 'Andy Mapple at Ski Paradise' at Barts or Overtons. I think this is better for the entry level course skier than the earlier DVD, but they are both good.

I would suspect a few of things.
    1. You are leaning back when you turn
    2. You are standing up when you cross the wake
    3. You have bent arms as you cross the wake.
    4. You are looking directly at the bouy as you ski toward it.
    5. When you start your turn you are already looking across course - when you release your hand, try keeping your eyes down course until the ski has come around.

Take some video and watch it in slow-mo. Try to find video of people skiing the course at your length and speed who are successful. Here is an older video of me at 15 off at 30. I do not pretend to suggest that you should ski like this, but if you watch it you may be able to determine the differences that might help.

http://home.comcast.net/~BensonWdby/fullpass30_web.mpg

HTH
    Dave
    Last edited by BensonWdby; 08-05-2010 at 09:15 AM.

dave don't be so modest- you're an awesome skier plus you're ranked

looking across the wake during and after the turn is one of the many bad habits I have from skiing in open water- and you're right it makes a big difference. Ironically, it was when I returned to open water and was working on this that I took a nasty spill from not seeing a roller. I think I'm going to be very limited in skiing in open water from now on.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Thanks, but I know better. When you ride in the boat with guys that warm up at 28 off at 36, you get things in perspective. And good in open water does not translate to good in the course (but it helps get you there)

Here is a photo of Jamie B. (I think - on a Connelly anyhow) coming into the wake on his strong side.
    Note:
    1. Ski on edge
    2. Eyes NOT looking at bouy
    3. 'Long' arms, i.e., not bent at the elbows, no longer pulling.
    4. Left foot forward, left palm down (right handed baseball grip)
    5. Head up, NOT in line with rest of body
    6. Butt = close to water - i.e., good angle and balanced over the ski with ski between him and boat.
    7. NOT standing up flat on the ski with separation between hands and thighs (sure he is not touching thighs, but still....)
    8. Monster spray without even trying..

HTH
    Dave