Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

yeah plus I'm still on the disabled list from this stupid sprained ankle- but I'm off the crutches and cane so hopefully won't be much longer but I'll probably take it really easy for the rest of this season.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Cool

I thought about 28 but hated 30 so much as it was my stubbornness did not allow me to go slower yet although my buddy /driver did suggest it as well.
    1 1/2 weeks and ski school here i come and if the Boss say 28 then 28 it is!! i guess. Hopefully i can get some pics as well and post them.
    07 Outback DD

Dave, again thanks for all the tips. May not get another attempt at a course this year.

I also do not have regular access to a course. How hard is it to set up a course? Mine would have to be seasonal(lake freezes over). The lake is deep, so how does that complicate set-up?
    2008 LS

Most places I know require a permit for a course that stays in overnight (permanent course), and they can be a headache in a public lake because a lot of peope resent having them in place and will vandalize them or accidentally run over them or hook them. So depending on your situation a portable is proabably a better option - unless you are the only one in the group who skis.

Check out Accufloat or Insta-slalom. You can put in a course with two people in about 30 minutes if you know what your are doing (according to Instaslalom - only 12 minutes). The first time it will take longer, but the learning curve is favorable. I have only deployed an Insta-slalom a few times. Forgot about the guys at EZ Slalom so added this link:

http://www.accufloat.com/courses.html
    http://www.instaslalom.com/home.php
    http://www.ez-slalom.com/home.html

Good luck with your efforts.

Again want to recommend "Andy Mapple at Ski Paradise"
    http://waterskimag.com/equipment/200...-ski-paradise/

This has great slow-mo videos of Andy as well as a cross section of typical slalom skiiers with really great analysis in each case.

Have a great rest of season...
    Dave
    Last edited by BensonWdby; 08-09-2010 at 01:32 AM.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Mikey, I know the feeling! (about trying a course for the first time). Thought I was coming along pretty good; got a 1st crack at a course and man was I humbled! Course skiing = big difference from Rec skiing. Mustered a measely two balls, 15 off @ 30 MPH.
    Spent this past weekend at my buddy's place (who has the course). A fifteen year old girl took the rope and ran 15 off @ 30 MPH handily. So I'm thinking: "What's my problem?" (Though she is beginning to compete).
    Two other points:
    1. I concur with Benson on the Mapple video. It was very beneficial for me.
    2. Get yourself on video.
    The combination of those two improved me about 20% overnight.
    I now pretty much know what to do; just have to do it.
    Enjoy the lessons. You'll come back a changed man and will be forever hooked on slalom!

Kurt, my buddy bought Insta-slalom last year. Put it in (2nd time) this year in under 20 min.
    Observations:
    - He's getting a bit frustrated fixing/replacing bouys, and he is not on a busy lake. The guys who take out his bouys have his permission to use the course. They just make mistakes driving, and are not newbs either.
    - Everybody with a Jet Ski / Sea-Doo will run it. Get used to it. Usually not a big deal as they haven't been hard on the bouys.
    - He's had complaint from the older neighbors who noticed the increase in boat noise / traffic.
    '07 Outback V
    Ski|Board|Surf|Skate

Smile

Moombabound i totally agree that having video to show me what i did would be totally the best way for me to learn. I'm hoping in ski school they will offer that as i know i would learn faster from that then someone saying do this ,do that etc.Unfortunetely i have no video or pics of this day,which may be a good thing . I do have a big bruise on my butt cheek to prove it though.
    As for a young girl showing us up. Thats almost exactly what happened.As we were finishing a family in a MC197 showed up and first to go after us was there daughter. We gave them the go ahead saying we were done and please don't make us look bad. Well they heard at least half of what we said. GO, but not the make us look bad part. This young girl 16,17 maybe .She ripped the course doing 5balls first run then about 4 more passes 6 balls everytime. Speed ? lenght rope? Then DADS turn,guessing 34mph and about 28,31 off and SLAMMING through the course. Very hummbling to watch yet very entertaining,then as quick as they came , wave and off they went.
    Maybe some day when i grow up i can be just like the young girl much less Dad.
    07 Outback DD

I just went back and looked at my videos from Wade Cox clinic and am convinced -

If you have ever considered taking any advice from me on this web site - you may want to reconsider.

I sure hope a weekend of skiing with Andy Mapple fixes some of my issues...

Well put. I discovered this weekend a flaw that was causing me to go flat into the first wake. I was not letting the ski finish the turn. I though as soon as I get past the bouy I had to crank it, regardless of where the ski was.

I was about to go on another dissertaion here, but instead - get Andy's video and study it.

Dave

I got out on the public course today, first time since March. After 5 runs, I finally got through 6 bouys at 15' off 28mph. It all happens so fast, that I only assume that my form was similar to the way I freeride. I was early to every buoy and it was by far the "best" run that I have had at the course. My wife tried the course, but on her second run a boat chopped it up and then a tuber showed up. We are heading back tomorrow. Hopefully, I will press the speed up to 30 and have good results.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

good for you. once you get that the 30 pass comes quick... love public courses...