Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Prestart Checklist

I was wondering if anyone uses a prestart checklist or even has a certain routine they practice before launching. The reason I ask, we've had a few issues with our new boat that has caused some concern and I wondering whether or not we're covering all the basics before boating. For instance this weekend we blew a fuse. After a little research, I noticed all 4 battery cables were loose leading me to believe this is what caused the fuse to blow. I tighened the cables, replaced the fuse and everything was fine. In addition, few weeks back we lost one of the allen head bolts for the tower. Are these things we should be checking everytime we go out?

Thanks in advance.

Greg
    Pain is weakness leaving the body!
    2009 Outback V

After the first 10-20 hours, I went over most of the bolts on the boat. Some were loose, some not. After every season, I re-check the bolts. After I tow a long distance, I check the tower bolts.
    I check oil and tranny level about once a month. This has worked for me for 18 yrs.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Quote Originally Posted by cbboarder View Post
    I was wondering if anyone uses a prestart checklist or even has a certain routine they practice before launching. The reason I ask, we've had a few issues with our new boat that has caused some concern and I wondering whether or not we're covering all the basics before boating. For instance this weekend we blew a fuse. After a little research, I noticed all 4 battery cables were loose leading me to believe this is what caused the fuse to blow. I tighened the cables, replaced the fuse and everything was fine. In addition, few weeks back we lost one of the allen head bolts for the tower. Are these things we should be checking everytime we go out?

Thanks in advance.

Greg
    Greg,

I would not consider loose battery cables and loose tower hardware part of a "prestart checklist". Those are things that you should check at the start of each boating season and then periodically as needed. My prestart checklist, i.e., things I do before backing the boat down the ramp is (1) did I put the plug in and (2) did I remove the transom straps. That's it. Everything else should be checked before you head out to the lake.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    Greg,

My prestart checklist, i.e., things I do before backing the boat down the ramp is (1) did I put the plug in and (2) did I remove the transom straps. That's it. Everything else should be checked before you head out to the lake.

Al
    I have to agree with Al. Straps and plug are my big two. I try to check my Oil's every 10 hours or so. I also check my belt and the whole engine area at this time. The tower is looked at every time I wipe down the boat after riding and my tower mirror is check before I start the drive to and from the lake (allready lost one on a road trip). Gas is checked at the end of the day and marked in the truck if i need to get more before the next time out.
    Last edited by kaneboats; 07-20-2010 at 10:55 AM.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Quote Originally Posted by jester View Post
    I also check my belt and the whore engine area at this time.

LOL!

I just turn the key on and make sure the battery is well charged (nothing was left on), make sure the plug is in, and check that all lifevests are present before leaving the house. On my old boat, an OB, I'd start it before we left the house. It did let me down a few times... Oh, I check fluid levels ~1/month.

Check cooler for beer supply and, oh yeah, check fuel. Fire and go. OOOOOPPPPS! Forgot the plug again!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Make sure you have your boat key with you... This actually happens once. After checking and double checking everything at the house and driving 1/2 hour to the launch, I then realized that I left my boat keys on the kitchen table
    2009 Moomba Mobius LSV Liquid Force. Indmar 340HP CAT

I'm with Al as well. Everything else is done before we head off to the lake. I also keep an extra key hidden on the boat just in case i forget them, which i have once!
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by bjames View Post
    Make sure you have your boat key with you... This actually happens once. After checking and double checking everything at the house and driving 1/2 hour to the launch, I then realized that I left my boat keys on the kitchen table
    This is why I never take the boat keys out of the ignition
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV