Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a Rant

Default Just a Rant

This is just my rant about my experience today. No replies are needed but welcome to express your own opinion.

So my friend asked me to take her and some friends out on my boat. Great weather. I know that my setup is a Cadillac for skiing in comparison to other boats among her friends list/available, mostly fish and ski stuff. I tell her I don't have anyone available to spot/drive, but she will take care of that part. She shows up with 4 of her friends. None of them I know/never met until then. None of them can drive a boat either.

I was glad to pull them. They all had fun. The boat got the use it was designed for. My issue is I spent 3 hours driving, only got one run in at the end when everyone else was done and giving some brief begginer boat driving instructions. Then when they asked to be dropped off I got the general "Thanks, Had a great time", No offer for gas money or any other assistance. Then they say, "let us know when your going out again". I knew they were going out for dinner as well, because they were planning it in the boat... No invite there either.

I know there was the thread on gas ettiquete. My rule of thumb was take gas money donations but never ask. I think this might change. I can cover for direct friends but not strangers/friends of friends who I know will never be able to reciprocate. I guess I'll just have to be more clear, I can't fund everyone's fun.

Overall an ok time, just feel that I got the serious short end of the stick. They probably won't be invited back.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

I'm still a new inboard owner only having my XLV since Sept 09. However, the first couple/few times I invited my usual group of hottie girls and one or two guy friends the guys were always asking, "you need a hand with anything" but the girls were always the same, "thanks, call us next time you go out" or "are we going out again tomorrow". They now know that I keep extra microfiber towels in my truck along with water spot remover. It's become automatic now for them to ask where are the towels to dry off the boat. They also take their trash and almost everytime they offer gas money but I only take it every other time. All the girls that come on my boat can wakeboard and/or surf so they are burning fuel. But there are those days where we're only out a couple/few hours after work so I don't expect anything on those days. I never have more than 6 people in the boat so everyone gets multiple pulls.

I usualy collect more cash than the boat need... for a 100$ refuel i always end up with 120$ to 140$. Since i put several thousands dollars a year on the boat, i realy dont feel bad...

Typical Northern WI women...lol

That is why I have the sticker on the windshield that says, This boat runs on gas, not thank you's! Most of my friends offer too much money and won't take no for an answer. I have had some people that just sit there when we are trying to dock, don't ask if they can do anything, and don't help when we get out to wipe the boat down and take out the trash. They don't get many invites. Sometimes, like when they say when are we going out again? I say, when you got gas money. They get the hint.
    Medic151
    06 Mobius XLV

its a very touchy subject someone i invite out or want to go along or i know is strapped for money i'll never accept it but some still insist and stick it in your truck or hide it in the boat or what not and i won't argue too much there. people that just wanna come out and ride in a nice boat see the others try things and just enjoy the lake i don't want any money from them either its the regulars who go out with me that helps to get a 5 or a 10 when we go out not too much to ask for when it comes to a day of fun and nobody has ever gripped about it either. i'm not looking to break even or make money on gas just get a little help. and all the guys and girls are great about grabbing towels and cleaning it off and putting on the babes and straps to tie it down while i hand the boards down so when i finish my job inside the boat all i gotta do is take out the plug and check everything over and i'm on my way. makes it nice when you have 6 people who know what to do and just jump to it.
    08 lsv all red- dual battery system, kicker 700.5 and 450.2 amp, 10" kicker sub, wetsounds eq, polk db651 cabin speakers, exile xm7 tower speakers, ss thru hull fittings, seadek pad, evolutions cover

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10664

Quote Originally Posted by brad460 View Post
    Typical Northern WI women...lol
    True

I know none of them are strapped for cash, no kids, and I know one of them makes more money than me. I have the boat because thats my main interest. I just know that none of them know the cost involved or the work that takes place outside the lake scene. But upon my arrival I had even mention that I was late to the landing due to having to stop and fill the boat with gas. If we were just out for a hour long leisure lake cruse, no issues. But I pulled them skiing, wakeboarding, kneeboarding, and the dreded tubing. I never look to make money, just some financial assitance to offset the fuel cost.

Oh well, there will always be another day, another trip. I'll just have to change things up for next time.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

sounds like you got boatused; I never have an issue pulling everybody and their brother, but you better believe that I'm in the rotation just the same as everyone else. I figure that's good for the kids on the boat to learn "you can have another ride when everybody else has had a turn- including the captain" and as captain I'll ask once and only once who is next; if you're on my boat you have about 5-10 seconds to say "I'll go" or else I'm in the water myself!
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Depends on what the friends looked like and the Scenery during the day
    Some "shows" are worth the price of gas for admission !!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    Depends on what the friends looked like and the Scenery during the day
    Some "shows" are worth the price of gas for admission !!
    So true, especially the exhibitionist female types