Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tow Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Salyers View Post
    I towed my 09 LS with a 2004 V6 toyota 4runner. It did fine except for hills but I never had any problems with stopping or being pushed around by the boat.
    Now my new 2010 tundra Crewmax 4x4 doesn't have any problems. It loves the boat as much as I do. Love my 5.7v8. Great gas mileage considering what I am doing with it!
    What is this?????
    Nope I am not really a Japanese kind of car person (come one Honda, 56 vacume lines) but YES another LS owner!!!! GREAT!!!!!
    Always remember there is only 1 ski boat and that is a DD! All others have VD!
    Glad to see another LS owner!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JesseC View Post
    Does your F350 even know it is towing a boat?!?! My buddy pulled my boat with his F350 Super Duty twin turbo and i was not pulling anything. I could not keep up with him giong up hills!!!!!!
    That's what I love about my Cummins diesel. Going uphill the rpm's stay the same but the boost on my turbo goes up a few. Also, nice to accelerate faster than cars not pulling anything.

I have a v-8 dodge dakota with a towing package. We wouldn't haul much. We leave our boat on the lift most of the summer. Would this work ok for an outback or ooutback v?

Quote Originally Posted by baller40 View Post
    I have a v-8 dodge dakota with a towing package. We wouldn't haul much. We leave our boat on the lift most of the summer. Would this work ok for an outback or ooutback v?
    baller I tow my OBV with a Nissan Frontier 4x4 quad cab V6 260 hp rated to tow 6100 #. It does fine, not great. I tow mostly in flat Indiana and for that it's no problem; when we went to Kentucky the hills challenged it for sure. If I were towing a lot in hilly or mountainous areas I'd want a full size but if your not towing a lot I'm sure your dakota would yank an outback or obv no problem.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Quote Originally Posted by skiyaker View Post
    baller I tow my OBV with a Nissan Frontier 4x4 quad cab V6 260 hp rated to tow 6100 #. It does fine, not great. I tow mostly in flat Indiana and for that it's no problem; when we went to Kentucky the hills challenged it for sure. If I were towing a lot in hilly or mountainous areas I'd want a full size but if your not towing a lot I'm sure your dakota would yank an outback or obv no problem.
    Thanks skiyaker. Glad to hear it should work. We can afford a truck or a boat, but we can't do both right now. Maybe a new truck is a couple years off yet!

Quote Originally Posted by baller40 View Post
    With a V-8 you should have no problem and I would have to image that with that motor the chasis and suspension is going to be up to the task also.
    I had a 2 wheel drive 2002 Chevy Silverado with the 5.7 and I am pretty sure that its gross weight was 4200lbs and it towed fine. I just couldn't get over the fact that at 65mph the "Tow Mode" would fight with the "Knock sensor" and it would jump in and out of 4th gear way too much for me. It seemed like the computer was always confused. As far as the chasis and suspension it was just OK but when I installed some new Bilsteins shocks on it from the Z71's Chevy's it behaved very well.

Quote Originally Posted by zegm View Post
    With a V-8 you should have no problem and I would have to image that with that motor the chasis and suspension is going to be up to the task also.
    I had a 2 wheel drive 2002 Chevy Silverado with the 5.7 and I am pretty sure that its gross weight was 4200lbs and it towed fine. I just couldn't get over the fact that at 65mph the "Tow Mode" would fight with the "Knock sensor" and it would jump in and out of 4th gear way too much for me. It seemed like the computer was always confused. As far as the chasis and suspension it was just OK but when I installed some new Bilsteins shocks on it from the Z71's Chevy's it behaved very well.
    I live on a river and have friends with their own private boat landing. This is only about 8 blocks away, the longest towing we would be doing is to store it in winter (about 50 miles to the cabin). Our only public landing is way too shallow to comfortably bring the boat through, even when the water is up, so they put their obv in there. For this reason, I was more worried about getting out of steep ramps than highway stuff. Thanks for your post.

you'll be in good shape in your circumstance with a dakota esp if you get an outback or outback V. I put mine in a "neighborhood" ramp on lake barkley which I can best describe as going offroading with a boat; definitely needed 4x4 but it went fine. I might add that I towed my neighbor's 24 ft Supra once and I wouldn't want to make a habit of it, but if I were just towing that 50 mile jaunt once a year it could be done.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

Just picked up a used '08 2500HD Chevy Duramax CrewCab LTZ. I am looking forward to hauling the LSV with this.
    "The Boomba" '12 Mojo 345HP

Tow Rig: '08 Duramax