Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tow Vehicle

Andy, your wife is wise. Selection of tow vehicle comes up fairly often here and on most boating fora. You can bring up a quick selection of past conversations (and arguments) by clicking on "Search", "Advanced Search", enter "Tow Vehicle" in the "Key Word(s)" field and then be sure to change the option from "Search Entire Posts" to "Search Titles Only". I'd make a link for you, but that doesn't seem to work.

What model of Moomba are you planning to buy? This is important if you get a mid-sized truck or SUV. If you get such a vehicle, the Outback would be easily towable while the XLV might not. For the LSV, it's been just 300 lbs shy of the XLV since 2006. Please carefully check the dry weight specifications from Moomba for the model you have in mind.

After that, check the towing capacities of the vehicles under consideration and... laugh them off. You need to check with some actual owners who tow trailers of similar weight to your boat. Some makes/models have towing options that purport to support far in excess of what is realistic for the vehicle to control. For examples, the Ford Ranger and Toyota Tacoma have claimed capacities of well over 5000 lbs, but I wouldn't go notably past 5000 lbs in any mid-size (Tacoma) or past 3500 in any small truck (Ranger).

I have used both an SUV (3rd-generation Toyota 4Runner) and a pick-up truck (Honda Ridgeline) to tow. I prefer the truck because the growing collection of gear can simply be piled higher in the bed. With the SUV, we filled the rear storage and a large cartop carrier.

The 4Runner actually handled pretty well on the road, but it wasn't heavy enough to reliably stop the boat/trailer when launching at the gravel ramp! A 4th-generation 4Runner would have done fine. The Ridgeline handles it well on the road and at the ramp. This is for towing a 2005 XLV (4800 lbs dry weight).

I have done head-to-head comparisons of the handling-while-towing between the 2009 Ridgeline against the 1997 Silverado that usually sits forelornly behind it in my driveway. They are both very good. The Silverado has gotten bad mileage (even unloaded) and been unreliable from Day 1. The Ridgeline doesn't spend any time in the shop, gets far better mileage, and has a far better interior with comfort for five adults. It also has far better/safer handling in bumpy or slippery road conditions, due to its drive system and independent rear suspension.

My typical mileage with the Ridgeline: 16 city, 18-20 mixed, 24 highway. 12 when towing the XLV. You'll feel it on steep hills -- about the same as the 5.x L engines on the full-sized trucks.

If you are a homeowner who does his own renovations, you'll eventually be making those runs to Home Depot for supplies. The Ridgeline is the only mid-sized truck with at least 4 feet between the wheel wells for standard building supplies.

You'll get some fantastically "overkill" recommendations here. 5500-6000 lb truck to tow an outback? Well, if the truck is only for towing the boat, that's fine. My truck is also my everyday vehicle and I wouldn't want to be paying for the fuel consumption of a heavy full-sized truck for daily use. The Ridgeline is right-sized for my use.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

For the ford product line i would recomand:

If your realy near the boat ramp:
    -Explorer v8 with tow package
    -Ranger (They are uglyééé)
    -Lincoln Aviator V8 tow package

For long rides:
    -Expedition
    -F150
    -Lincoln Navigator

Wow, Ian... you sure love that Ridgeline. I'm not surprised that you like the vehicle, but I am surprised that you're towing an XLV that exceeds your max capacity and doing it with a V6!

i would be a little concerned about insurance...

I have a '06 Toyota 4runner V8 4x4. Best tow vehicle I've owned and the best part is that it fits in the garage next to my other car. Getting both cars in the garage while retaining tow capacity (7500lbs) was a priority to me.
    2006 Outback DD

Andy, the type of terrain you traverse is paramount. I live on the East side of the Rockies and pull annually to the West side. Need some horsepower/torque to do that. I have a serious pull to the Roger's Pass Summit. Like NewmbaTX, I have an '04 Grand Cherokee w/H.O. 4.7 and it handles it fine. Plus, need to pass the odd motorhome, transport, etc. If on the other hand you are on flat terrain, and have lots of runway to get up to speed, then power isn't a prime consideration.

Secondly, weight, per the prior replies about which Moomba model. You don't want the tow item steering the tow vehicle. I endured some serious wind sheer once, through a river valley, that moved me onto the shoulder. A bigger tow vehicle might have been less affected.

Next, fuel economy. The weekday and weekend commutes you list will take down some serious fuel money. Economy should be a prime consideration.

Lastly, space. You will end up with water toys that likely not all fit in the boat's storage compartments (surfboard or two, wakeboard or two, ski or two, tube, etc). Hence a truck box would be beneficial. I go to great trouble in this regard with my SUV, but only endure that once/yr.

You will be covering alot of highway. Sounds like you need something fairly sturdy, but which will not consume all your beer money at the pumps.

Happy hunting...
    '07 Outback V
    Ski|Board|Surf|Skate

Lots of good arguments on tow vehicles. I got my diesel for a couple reasons. It will never struggle up a hill or on a steep ramp, longevity of the engine (I keep my vehicles forever it seems), fuel economy towing, and it's a Dodge mega cab with the most cab room than any other truck for those road trips. I'm fortunate that this truck will fit into my garage but I can see why others would go to SUV to be able to park inside. Vehicle and boat need to be compatible with your terrain.

Default tow vehicle

My wife and I bought a new dodge 1/2 ton with the crew cab and hemi a larado or whatever, my dodge diesel wasnt all that great on fuel, neither is this truck but it is when i am not towing, around 25mpg. it has gobs of power though and is very comfy in the back when i kick in a movie and make the wife drive on those long trips.

Thanks all,
    This vehicle will be used only for towing the boat and some hunting trips. I have a long drive into work so I will be keeping both our cars and add the third vehicle to tow. I live in Minnesota so the longer trips will be flat land. As far as the boat goes I am looking for a used outback V or a mobius LSV. Again thanks for all your help!

Andy L

Lots of Tahoes out there from people looking to downsize. If you aren't going to use it all that much you can stand one with a few miles on it and get in real cheap. The Tahoe/Suburban makes a pretty nice tow vehicle.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!