Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uhhh yeah...

I actually pulled it all apart again yesterday. I got a whollllllle other handful of rubber pieces, they were lodged up in that trans cooler or whatever that thing is. I actually called the guy yesterday who was the original owner and he said its never been changed. So thats what it looks like after 76 hours and 5 years. It is recomfirmed because all the paint was still on the little brass bolts and now that I changed the impeller, there isnt any paint left. BTW when I was retorquing all these little bolts, I busted one of them, needless to say there are now stainless bolts in there with lock washers.
    Last edited by lewisb13; 07-16-2010 at 07:40 AM.
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

Hope you greased 'em good. I think they used the little brass ones to be sure you could get them out.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I am not quite sure but the picture of the vanes disturbs me. I have had inboards for over 25 years and in the past I went years on these impellers before changing them. What I would see would be that the cylindrical section on the end of the vane would we worn down flat or completely gone. I have never seen one shatter like this with so little hours. I have also had the intake clog up and then actually burned the impeller. But to just have the impeller rip apart into little pieces like that is weird. I am wondering if something got sucked up into the pump and caused this destruction. Has anyone ever changed their impeller after a couple of years and had chunks missing, sort of like an intial stage of destruction?
    Final question, on my old skiboat the transmission cooler was before the pump (this is where it got clogged and caused the overheating) now is it after the pump(?), if it is then you really don't have anything to prevent trash from getting into the impeller and possibly causing this issue (and it wouldn't matter when you changed the impeller). Unless you run a strainer like we have on our boat.
    Last edited by zegm; 07-16-2010 at 03:49 PM.

I'll 2nd that. This is not what a normal thrashed and worn impeller looks like. You should try tennis balls or knotted ropes, as they make much better dog chew toys than a Johnson 812 impeller!!!
    We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion.