Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Towing Skier by/under bridge - TX Law

This past weekend we got stopped after my driver pulled me under a bridge that goes over the San Jac River. We have been doing this every time out there since it is wide open, etc - not knowing there was a law against it.

Apperantly you can't take a skier within 150ft of a bridge in TX. This, we did not know. Time to read up on some boater safety rules.

Does anybody know what the fine will be? I didn't get the ticket, my driver/co-owner did.

Thanks,

Is that 150 ft from the support columns? What about the 360 bridge in Austin (that's a suspension bridge though)

Would have been nice to just get a warning first. Sorry to hear about this. Let us know how everything turns out.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Payson , Arizona/Arvada , Colorado/Montana

Default Boating laws

I tell ya ,I think there are more boating laws than transportation laws. Seems like you hear about the dumbest things. I think the legislature must get bored and have run out of laws to make up in another catagory so they pick on the boating scene. I am on a city owned lake , and some of the rules they have kind of parallel the state but they are not enforced. Such as the 150' rule between boats when you are pulling a skiier, and also the boat pulling the skiier has the right of way. Well , most people don't have a clue. I also think that law enforcement officers have a slow day and peobably have been told to issue tickets since the city/county is way below target on sales tax issues and they need the money ..
    Jim.
    05 Mobius lsv , ballast system , stereo, etc..

Didn't get a warning or anything. She was writing the ticket before she even got close to us. There are also no signs around the bridge to let you know this - you would think there would be.

Her partner, also complained about my original ID numbers on the boat, saying they were not up to standards - they are the original decals from 2002.

Not sure about the bridge in Austin. But as far as here around San Jac, she said you can't take a skier anywhere near within 150ft of the bridge - including columns.

I would definately check local laws on that...I searched and searched Texas Parks and Wildlife Chapter 31 which are boating laws/regulations to include operating a boat. I didn't find one thing about distance from bridges. However, Chapter 31 did say that local laws can be added. It's actually "PARKS & WILDLIFE CODE § 31.092. Local Regulations". I thought one thing was funny. There is a law against making an hazardous wake. It states under Texas Parks and Wildlife Chapter 31.098. "HAZARDOUS WAKE OR WASH. No person may operate a motorboat so as to create a hazardous wake or wash." I guess any of use that surf are guilty of this.

We go under the bridges and see skiers go under the bridges on San Bernard river all the time, no tickets ive heard of yet
    Black/White OBV
    Wetsounds pro 485s

There's a sign on one of our bridges but not on the other two. But, it says "no skiing"-- nothing about wakeboarding, surfing, kneeboarding, etc.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by you da man View Post
    I would definately check local laws on that...I searched and searched Texas Parks and Wildlife Chapter 31 which are boating laws/regulations to include operating a boat. I didn't find one thing about distance from bridges. However, Chapter 31 did say that local laws can be added. It's actually "PARKS & WILDLIFE CODE § 31.092. Local Regulations". I thought one thing was funny. There is a law against making an hazardous wake. It states under Texas Parks and Wildlife Chapter 31.098. "HAZARDOUS WAKE OR WASH. No person may operate a motorboat so as to create a hazardous wake or wash." I guess any of use that surf are guilty of this.
    In Arkansas there is usually nothing posted, but in the boating safety books issued by the game & fish each year it states that you can't make a wake within 100 feet of a man made structure. They say just because it's not posted you should still know the law. I know they gave out quite a few tickets on the 4th for this very thing.
    07 Mobius LS--Razorback Red

BEWARE!

$515 fine if towing under or within 150ft of bridge.

FML.