Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    The eye hook a couple inches from the roller has the same effect, the boat will move forward on momentum increasing the weight.
    Yep. That couple of inches of play could spell the difference between a 3000 lb shove and a 3000 lb hammer blow.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

I would have to say operator error in this case. Although I haven't reviewed the owners manual for a trailer, I couldn't see it saying...Just tap the brakes on tow vehicle to move boat on trailer to correct positioning. I have heard of other people doing the same and bad things happen; like damaged boat, damaged trailer, or worst when that trailer and tow vehilce become seperated from doing stuff like that. Nothing like a trailer tongue going through a tailgate.

I cant blame the steel. I dont believe the steel that holds the bunks are much thicker, if any. As mentioned its physics and mass. Thats why there are bow stops and tie down points, to prevent any movement. Bow stop more intended to hold/prevent not withstand a straight forward running start.

Shouldn't be too bad to get the trailer fixed. Might want to replace the winch strap too since it appears to have torn at one point and tied back together.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

The strap broke at the time of the flexing of the steel. I will be working on a design today that will replace the current bent steel with new 1/4" plates. We looked at 3 different moomba trailers last night and they all have the metal bent to some extent and the rollers don't roll easily. With the roller not rolling very well this might be once of the reasons the boat is hard to crank.

Not sure I understand either. Why not just back your trailer a little bit further in the water? I think this is one of the main mistakes people make when loading their boats. They would rather rev the sh*t out of their engines, stir up the docks and ruin the launch when all their lazy a$$e$ need to do is pull a little deeper in the water. Have I mentioned how much I hate power loading? And to think that you are actually hitting the brakes to slide the boat on the trailer???
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

Payson , Arizona/Arvada , Colorado/Montana

Every now and then with my old boat it would not track straight on the trailer. I was having some one back in the trailer for me and then I would load the boat. The boat would set kind of off center to the bunks a bit . I left the rear straps slightly loose and as I drove home I had rail road tracks to cross and the city street had some bumps in it and it still does to this day. When I got home the boat was centered back on the trailer .Sometimes I don't get the moomba all the way to the bow stop too . If I am not traveling too far, I just leave it alone. If I am going on a trip I will use another strap to hold the bow down till I get to the next lake.
    Jim.
    05 Mobius lsv , ballast system , stereo, etc..

I always use a separate tie down on the bow. The winch will keep it from sliding back, but will not necessarily hold it down to the trailer. I definitely recommend 3 tie downs.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I love how a guy who has never seen another guy's ramp or rig is going to tell him how to load his boat. I can't winch my boat onto the trailer. I can't back in any deeper than I do with my truck or I'll never get it out. I power load every time-- very carefully (actually, my daughter drives the boat on and runs it up to the roller. I do wet the bunks and quickly pull the truck forward to where the exhaust is out of the water. If you are careful you can slide up to the roller and get off the gas without hurting anything. I don't really know why you'd have to use the brakes on the truck to move it forward. I'd be tempted to park on a down hill slope and use the winch, I guess.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    I love how a guy who has never seen another guy's ramp or rig is going to tell him how to load his boat. I can't winch my boat onto the trailer. I can't back in any deeper than I do with my truck or I'll never get it out. I power load every time-- very carefully (actually, my daughter drives the boat on and runs it up to the roller. I do wet the bunks and quickly pull the truck forward to where the exhaust is out of the water. If you are careful you can slide up to the roller and get off the gas without hurting anything. I don't really know why you'd have to use the brakes on the truck to move it forward. I'd be tempted to park on a down hill slope and use the winch, I guess.
    In Ohio there is no hills, but your idea does work for me in TN.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick232 View Post
    In Ohio there is no hills, but your idea does work for me in TN.
    don't say in ohio there are no hills maybe around your theres none but i live 2 hours away and we have our fair share of steep ass hills!!
    08 lsv all red- dual battery system, kicker 700.5 and 450.2 amp, 10" kicker sub, wetsounds eq, polk db651 cabin speakers, exile xm7 tower speakers, ss thru hull fittings, seadek pad, evolutions cover

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10664

Quote Originally Posted by gus 08 mobius lsv View Post
    don't say in ohio there are no hills maybe around your theres none but i live 2 hours away and we have our fair share of steep ass hills!!
    I know there are hill in Ohio, just not in Columbus.