Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fins or no Fins?

So one of my fins fell off my board somehow and I'm thinking about just taking the other one off. Can anyone tell me the main differences I should expect in not having the fins? Or anyone else wakeboard without them? Preferences? Thanks.
    2006 Mobius XLV

Little more slippery-- you will definitely learn to edge. Way fewer faceplants. Enjoy!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

No fins here.

no fins, surface spins are much easier
    2002 kanga, skylon tower

No fins. NEVER!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jbheuerman View Post
    So one of my fins fell off my board somehow and I'm thinking about just taking the other one off. Can anyone tell me the main differences I should expect in not having the fins? Or anyone else wakeboard without them? Preferences? Thanks.

It depends on the board that you are riding, the size of the fins you have/had in, how big your molded fins are? I ride both ways. It is easier to slide without the fins but landings initially will not be as solid either. Go easy at first. Good Luck.
    2008 Mobius LSV Blue and Black.

I leave the fins on the board that I use for beginners. The other boards have only the integrated fins.

I basically learned to ride all over again two years ago after buying The Book and Detention 2012 instructional videos. Valuable advice was to take off the fins and to do sliding exercises starting at very low speed (say10-12 MPH).
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

Fins are for sissys and girls..
    Just kidding.. GO FINLESS
    SUNSHINE DAYDREAMS!!
    2008 LSV
    Wetsounds 3-some on tower. Wetsounds in boat. Wetsounds XS12 Sub. Green LEDs interior.

Quote Originally Posted by madriding1 View Post
    Fins are for sissys and girls..
    Just kidding.. GO FINLESS
    Whatever, real men can do surface tricks with 3 inch fins and never catch an edge
    Quote Originally Posted by jbheuerman View Post
    IMO center fins are useful only for the newest of newbies. So when you say "the other one" I assume you're talking center fins. If that's the case ditch them for sure.

But fins in the corners are different and have varying degrees of usefulness depending on their size and the board. I get that not having them forces you to edge properly, but having them allows you to edge even harder (assuming you are already edging correctly.) Like jjolson said, they also have some value when landing.

Personally if the board has molded in fins, that's good enough for me. If it's a featureless board (flex) I like the .7" fins they put on to give it a little extra bite.

So what kind of board are we talking about here?

I guess im the odd-ball here but i always ride with my center fins in place (unless im at a cable park with kickers and sliders). Most boards have molded in fins with optional center fin... My center fin is only 0.7", and gives me a better chance of landing big airs. Everyone is always talking about i "cant spin with my fins"???? Modern boards have enough rocker to easily pull the fins out of the water when you have the board perpendicular with the boat to do any surface spin... But, who does surface spins? You should SPIN IN THE AIR! In my opinion the only reason anyone should ride finless is if they are landing a handfull of inverts, wake-to-wake 3's, on a consistent basis. OR you ride at 6am on perfect glass. Now if you are riding at 2pm on a saturday like the rest of the world in choppy water... well, you know the saying... "Sure you can eat soup with a fork, but you have the sneeky suspicion that there is a better tool for the job"!

Fins are there for a reason, and in my experience they help more often than hurt, especially when trying to land big airs.
    '01 Mobius