Thread: 2010 outback v

Default 2010 outback v

I just bought a 2010 outback v with kicker speakers, kicker zxm 350.4 amp and mb quart unit and the music just doesnt get very loud. It seems to me that it should get alot louder than it does. When your towing a wakeboarder at about 22mph the engine completely drowns out the music. Anyone know anything that I can do or have done to get it louder without spending a ton of money?

Check to see if the LOUDNESS control on the head unit is on or off.

You might find it sounds better to your ears with the LOUDNESS control turned on. Otherwise, check your FADER control to make sure it is not turned way towards the front or the rear. You will get max output from the H/U with it set dead-center.

Phil
    Kicker

A1,
    Ultimately you will achieve the maximum volume with all tonal emphasis turned off or flat, whether or not you like the way it sounds. It is possible that factory has the amplifier gains set low or that you're using a source (ipod,etc) with low gain. Here is how you can determine if its more of a gain issue or a power issue. Without the boat running and without any noise competition, turn the system up to the same numeric value on your remote or display. If it remains clean at that level and free of distortion then you probably have a gain issue. If it sounds particularly harsh then you most likely have a power issue.
    You're only going to get so much percieved volume out of four 6 1/2 speakers in the cockpit (as you won't hear a contribution from the bow speakers on the opposite side of the windshield). If you want more it will take a sub with its own power to fill in the lower two octaves and high-passing the coaxials to narrow their bandwidth in order for you to hear a substantial increase in perception.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by aiden_1 View Post
    I just bought a 2010 outback v with kicker speakers, kicker zxm 350.4 amp and mb quart unit and the music just doesnt get very loud. It seems to me that it should get alot louder than it does. When your towing a wakeboarder at about 22mph the engine completely drowns out the music. Anyone know anything that I can do or have done to get it louder without spending a ton of money?
    Check the volume on your source (if using an ipod for example, turn the ipod volume all the way up). Also check the gain setting on your amp. It may be set too low.

You should be able to get some decent volume out of your set up.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

ok thanks I will check it all out this evening when I get home. Also what are some good tower speakers? I have been looking at some kickers and polk, are there any other good brands that are a little cheaper? And as for the cans, are they all about the same or do you get what you pay for?