Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Replying to Topic 'Desperate for Mechanical Insight'

OK, Rusten, we realize this thread got repetitive ( where my replies were concerned ) and we didn't nail down some causes.

Did you get resolution in another way?

Hi Catdog-
    I have an urgent medical matter with a family member that has required me to leave my home/boat for a couple weeks. As soon as I return I am going to try the alternate carburator and test the fuel pump. Then I'm going to update the thread.

Thank you for checking in. Hope your knee is feeling better,
    -Rusten

Update--
    After taking the boat out of storage as a result of two hurricanes that have caused damage to our house, I'm finally focusing on repairing the Moomba again. As a refresher, the engine maxes out at 3,500 RPM for about 10 seconds, then drops down to 3,000 RPM *maximum* at Wide Open Throttle.

Yesterday I replaced the carburator, but that didn't do the trick.

Next I plan on replacing the fuel pump, but I'm not sure of the correct PSI / GPH. The Carter replacement seems to be two different GPH strengths.

I'm also going to try a new ignition system, as that seemed to get fouled up as a result of floods in the first hurricane. It's not terrible, but I think an electronic ignition would be a nice upgrade. Anyone have any ideas/opinions on the options?

Catdog - how is your knee coming?

Thank you all,
    -Rusten

Thanks, knee is better, but still a bit weak. Was a badly sprained MCL ( inner tendon ). Glad I had a lifejacket on when I fell in between the dock and the boat.

Am wanting to hear the final diagnosis on the replacement engine. I'm still voting camshaft / timing & ECM, but I'm merely a backyard mechanic. Good luck. Sorry about the hurricanes.

Has anyone suggested cheking the fuel tanl if the sock in the tank is dirty trhe engine would run fine till a load is put on it

Has the fireing order been checked? Whe have ran into this exact problem after working on our engine a few times, and it was the firing order. It runs fine until under load, then the engine boggs. Due to the fact you aren't running on all holes!

Didn't read all the pages (too man), just a suggestion.