Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default My Custom Tower Shade Build....

some of you may remember my $40 shade i built for my nautique
    http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=82753

well a little nicer boat now, means allitle nicer shade.

my mobius LSV came with the stock bimini thats just, well, gay. looks like it belongs on a bayliner and only really shaded the driver and passenger, plus you have to put it up and down everytime.

all the ones you buy were expensive and the less expenive ones were just generic and still $500+. so i decided to build my own.

got some supplys and headed to my buddy brads. have to give him credit for all the welding.

supplys:

4x billet tower clamps (bullet)
    $100

3x 1"x10' conduit
    4x 90* bent corners
    1/2" steel tube
    $45

nuts, bolts, and washers
    1/4" x 1" aluminum bar
    $35

2 yards Sunbrella Marine 80" fabric
    $75

adhesion promotor and paint
    $12

Total Invested: $267

final size is 61" x 63" or about 5' x 5', and took us right at 8 hours to compete.

getting the sides welded up
    Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 07-05-2010 at 07:55 PM.

weld cleanup

center bolt sleeves. weld in at the same angle as the tower. prevents the bolt from crushing the tube.

welded nuts for the front supports. on the inside so there hidden from view.

mocked up with the center bolts only.

i just finished weld cleanup, sanding and priming. painting as i type this.
    ill keep the post updated as i go.

Dayum Cory, you've been busy.

yeah. we started at 1 on saturday, i got home at 10:30. lots of work. i hope its worth it.

Keep us updated! Very cool project.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

I assume the clamp by the mirror and the other straight across from it will be moved up to the back bar of the tower?

no those clamps are shown in there final location. the 1/4" x 1" flat aluminum bar stock was used to make hard supports in the front and goes from the clamps to those welded on nuts shown in the second to last pic. you cant see the nuts in the last pic because the top front bar of the tower is blocking them from view. i thought i had taken a pic of it all assembled but i guess not.

i may add some straps to the back just for folks getting off the swin deck, natural instict is going to be to grab the back of the shade and swing in. its strong enough to not need them. but i want to be safe incase someone grabs it coming in.

I can't wait to see the finished product

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
    no those clamps are shown in there final location. the 1/4" x 1" flat aluminum bar stock was used to make hard supports in the front and goes from the clamps to those welded on nuts shown in the second to last pic. you cant see the nuts in the last pic because the top front bar of the tower is blocking them from view. i thought i had taken a pic of it all assembled but i guess not.

i may add some straps to the back just for folks getting off the swin deck, natural instict is going to be to grab the back of the shade and swing in. its strong enough to not need them. but i want to be safe incase someone grabs it coming in.
    That makes sense now that you explain it. So now I guess I'm just curious why you chose to support it that way instead of on the rear/back bar of the tower like the monster and z5 racks.

You're going to have a great setup when you're done and very inexpensive as well. Nice job!