Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Fuel filter replacement

Howdy. Even with all of the many helpful threads here, I cannot find this simple task documented.

What is the safe way to relieve any fuel pressure and change my fuel filter? I would really like to avoid any gasoline-related mishaps.

I had symptoms at the end of a hot day yesterday that could be simple vapour-lock, or might be a clogged filter. My local shop fixed a clogged filter once a couple of years ago, but they do not have service on the weekend. I am heading out for a water test in 90 minutes (towing the boat 50 miles back to marina). I would really like to know what any contingency steps are, in case it was more than vapour lock.

Thanks in advance!
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

I identified the high-pressure fuel pump based on photos in this thread:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....ht=fuel+filter

On my 2005 XLV, rather than being located at the port rear, it's at the starboard front of the engine. It's in a tight corner behind the firewall, below the oil filter, and beside the fire extinguisher.

I still need to know exactly where to open up the line to inspect the filter (and how to do this without a gasoline spill).
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
    Howdy. Even with all of the many helpful threads here, I cannot find this simple task documented.

What is the safe way to relieve any fuel pressure and change my fuel filter? I would really like to avoid any gasoline-related mishaps.

I had symptoms at the end of a hot day yesterday that could be simple vapour-lock, or might be a clogged filter. My local shop fixed a clogged filter once a couple of years ago, but they do not have service on the weekend. I am heading out for a water test in 90 minutes (towing the boat 50 miles back to marina). I would really like to know what any contingency steps are, in case it was more than vapour lock.

Thanks in advance!

I don't believe there should be enough fuel pressure that would cause the fuel to spray everywhere when you remove the filter.
    Mine is carbed and has the screw on filter that looks like an oil filter and when I change mine I just unscrew it and a little bit of gas might drip from it and gas might spill out of the filter, but that's about it.
    I would just put a rag down below it in case it does drip or spill a little.
    I would also remove it slowly to see if you get any gas coming out....
    '99 Outback (Maroon/Creme) GM 350/Holley 4150
    550 HRS
    LaSalle-Peru, IL

Thanks for the reply. Anticipating that it was much more likely to have been vapour-lock than bad fuel (I've been filling up at the marina and it's got a high turnover for its fuel supply), I took my boat to marina today ahead of my crew and took it for a water test. It ran fine for that.

I took advice from other threads here and ran the blower on this hot day. There were no further problems until I forgot the blower during the last session of teaching a new wakeboarder. On our trip back to the marina, the engine started to weaken over 4000 RPM. Next, I'll follow other advice to use Sta-Bil Marine additive.

Make sure you disconnect a battery terminal before you replace the fuel filter
    Sloppy

2001 Moomba Outback LS w/tower, ballast and 320hp Indmar TBI. 4 blade prop, front and rear ballast

Ian, last year my boat would cut out/hesitate at anything above 3000rpm. changing ther fuel filter fixed the problem. I did not have any issues with pressure when i took the old out. Took less than 5 min to do.

The filter is available at any autoparts store. I picked one up at NAPA/UAP for around $20.

I can get the part number if you need it. let me know.
    2006 LSV

What exactly is vapor lock??

Quote Originally Posted by brenpire View Post
    Ian, last year my boat would cut out/hesitate at anything above 3000rpm. changing ther fuel filter fixed the problem. I did not have any issues with pressure when i took the old out. Took less than 5 min to do.

The filter is available at any autoparts store. I picked one up at NAPA/UAP for around $20.

I can get the part number if you need it. let me know.
    I'd appreciate the part # as mine is due for a replacement. Thx!
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

NAPA part # 3299, it is a little shorter that the CarQuest filter that SC puts on. Replaced mine last week for the same reasons, also put in StarBrite-StarTron fuel treatment. Ran the fan when boarding/tubing/surfing didn't have any issues with vapor lock like I had previously.
    2006 Moomba OBV-"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you".

Default Fuel Filter

Al, part is NAPA Gold 3299. See Ya, Bill