Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie help?

Default Newbie help?

I want to learn to wakesurf. I have a 2001 OB LS. I have one 400 pound ski locker bag, and two 400 pound v drive bags I can put on the floor. My son (9) can wakesurf my old O'Brien Shredder "wakeboard" that is a lot like a surfboard. First time he tried, he did it and threw in the rope after about 5 minutes of playing around and went another 15 minutes. I tried, and the board just sank on me. I could not even ride the board with the rope as it was a constant struggle to keep afloat at that low of a speed (around 10).

I weighed approximately 205 then and now weigh 185. Any hope for me? If so, should I buy a new board? I have found a really good deal on an O'Brien Alias 5.0 new and a Liquid Force Venture 5'6". These both seem to be big boards and I assume I want the thing that will make it easiest for me to possibly surf. Does it make sense to buy one of these boards and if so, which one. I'm leaning towards the Alias but if you think the Venture would have a markedly better chance of allowing me to surf, I would buy that instead.

Also, I am a total beginner and so will be everyone else on the boat. I plan to keep my LS for another two years or so and then upgrade to a new or lightly used LSV, XLV (or less likely but possibly a similar model from another manufacturer if price is competitive) - but I'm constantly looking. I'm not advese to buying a new board to go with the new boat.

I've got the LF Venture and find if pretty easy to surf on behind my 07 Mobius LS. Got a friend with a CWB Ride and it is pretty good, but of my normal surfing group everyone seems to like the Venture better (seem to find the sweet spot easier). He has an LSV and behind that boat both are pretty easy to ride. This is the 2nd summer with it and I'm looking for something now that I can do a little more on. The LFV is great for learning but you'll want to move on to something else once you start getting better. Just my .02.
    07 Mobius LS--Razorback Red

You'll like the Alias better, I think, after you learn to surf a bit. The Venture would be great to keep around for learners though so you can't go wrong either way. At your current weight and with the ballast you have you should have no problem surfing either board.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I have the Venture, and it is great for learning to surf. It takes all of 5 minutes to get surfing if you have wakeboarded before. Once you figure it out, you will definitely want something smaller than the venture 5-6. I have rode mine about 5 times and I am wishing I had bought something more agile that is easier to do tricks on. Regardless, if you are just learning you wont go wrong with either board, but you definitely have to kick the old wakeboard that you are trying to surf on......way too much work. Surfing should be a joy, not a bunch of work! Good luck
    woodrow

07 LSV

The wake on your LS is going to dictate whether or not you can use one of the boards you can slash the wake with. It's really going to depend on how much push your wake has or can have by experimenting with ballast. I've riddeen the LF Venture, CWB Ride, and Ronix Cortez and those boards do not require much of a wake but my Shred Stixx board does require at least a large steep wake or a medium long wake with alot of push. I just got a Triple X 58" Composite board (skim style) and it needs a medium wake with push to it.

I'm 190 lbs and ride the Venture. Its a great board and is still alot of fun for me. I have a Phase 5 Razz and its fun but more difficult. The board I grab depends on my mood....do I want to have fun or try tricks and get irritated? Fun = Venture, Irritated = Phase 5.

Here's a pic of me with my daughter. Total wt of approx 225lbs combined.

'05 Supra 21V Launch

That's awesome! I'm going to have to try that with my daughter. Any tips as far as getting up tandem?
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Yea, hold on tight!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    That's awesome! I'm going to have to try that with my daughter. Any tips as far as getting up tandem?
    Wake9.com has a great video on tandem wakesurfing that I saw the other day. The video should be at the top of the page linked below.

http://wake9.com/blogs/how-to-wakesurf-101/

if you have someone to teach you and enough perseverence, you could get a shorter board, which would be more economical once you learned to get up and are ready to learn some tricks. We use the hyperlite 4'4", and we've had a guy who's about 235 get up on this board, so you'll definately be able to learn on the smaller board.
    07 LSV