Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Drivers seat cushion Type IV PFD?

I received a ticket at Shasta over Memorial day for not having a type IV PFD on board. Oops. Shame on me. I was wondering if the drivers seat cushion would act as a type IV PFD? Does anybody know?

I assume it is not approved by the US Coast Guard. Will it float? If so, does anybody know how much weight it will keep up?

Trying to avoid paying $203. Ouch!

Bob
    Last edited by Bad Bob; 06-29-2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: more sarcasm

Ouch that sucks. The drivers seat will not pass for a type IV. I have not thought to drop it in the water since then my seat will be wet and we cannot have that.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

yikes, no warning first? We were inspected early last summer and didn't have a type IV on board. They gave us a written warning and told us to get one before coming to the lake again.
    2007 Mobius LS

Ouch! I have occasionally wondered about getting a ring buoy, but they are pretty sizable pieces of equipment that cannot be compressed or reshaped -- and they have to kept accessible. In Canada, there is a distinction between a "buoyant heaving line" and a "life buoy" (with attached line). For vessels up to 8 metres (26 feet), only the line is required, so a watersports tow rope/handle is sufficient.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

I just bought the $10 throw type at Dick's Sporting Goods. Keeps the tickets away. The last time I was stopped, I didn't have one and got the warning.
    '09 OBV

This is the pits. $203 Those sheriffs should be ashamed of themselves. There were 5 people and 8 ski vests.

Rules are rules I guess. At least the lake was full.

Pretty much common sense. The law has been in affect a long time. It is also a ticket if the throwable is not easy accessable. If you have to dig for it, you just as well tell the cop to write your ticket now as it is buried.

Welcome to boating Bob. In Washington State you get that information when you get your boating drivers license that is required. Seats are only good on airlines but if you can get your boat airborne then you're good to go.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I got lectured for making sure that the throwable was within arms reach, and then he told me that each person on the boat has to have a lifejacket within arms reach as well. I was going to ask him which arms I should use to drive the boat, but figured that some don't have a real sense of humor

I politely said "yes sir" and then stashed them back where they belong as we hit the ramp..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I make it the first item under the bow seat.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Following advice on this forum, I have been using my throwable as a booster seat to see over the bow more easily so it's readily accessible. Before that it was under the back left seat. I knew where it was, but I'm not sure if that would be quick enough for Johnny law.

Kind of a jerk for not giving you a warning, but then again, cops are jerks...

Probably best that you didn't test his sense of humor, but that is pretty funny. Personally I would have demonstrated how to drive with a life preserver in each hand, but it involves puling down my shorts. I'm sure that's a violation of some law, too. :P
    -ryan
    '10 Wakesetter LSV