Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default late friends on the lake??

so the conversation came up this weekend on being late to the ramp and so I figured I'd see if we are too harsh or if others agree....

our lake that we boat on most of the time has no cell coverage. it's around the foothills and no one has put up a tower. we usually try to go up early to grab a dock, especially on busy weekends or if we are camping we are already up there for anyone that wants to day-trip.
    anyone that we invite we tell them that since no cell coverage, it's a 15 minute window. if we agree to noon, then we wait until 12:15 then take off. it's a hard, fast rule that we stick to..

too harsh??

a couple of people have suggested that it's kind of harsh and what happens if you hit traffic, but my though is if you are going to spend the day with others, have the common courtesty to show up on time. you play your trip to ensure that you are there early...
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I have no problem whatsoever with that. I would think they could get there much quicker than you as they are not towing a boat, didn't have to hitch up, didn't have to stop to gas up the boat, etc. Of course, if it is someone I really wanted to spend time with I'd tell them 11:45 instead of noon.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Seems fair to me as long as everyone that is coming knows of the 15 minute window. The only thing I personally would change would be maybe a 30 minute window. It's tough getting places on time because stuff does happen.

I know in my area where we go I can't get cell phone coverage, either but what's weird is texting comes through.

I used to do one "checkback" on the hour. So if the time was 12, I'd check at 1. This might not be feasible for you though, depending on the distance.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

wait, I own a supra

ya, maybe I am, and several of my buddies that have boats are the same way. just sounds harsh. we have a good time on our "recreational vehicles" and haven't had a single soul yet complain and go away saying they wouldn't come back.....

the way I see it:
    shoes can cause more wear and tear. it's my depreciation.
    eat and drink what you like, just no kool aid or cheetoes. they stain.
    it cost money. I'll let you go occasionally for free, but they do cost money. pay up
    we all say be on time as floating around waiting for someone eats up board time and sucks for all on the boat..

like kg says, I've only had one miss it, and he didn't do it again
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Only rule I have on the boat is have fun, be respectful and take your shoes off before boarding.
    2009 Moomba Mobius XLV: 340hp, bimini top, Kenwood speaker system with sub.

nope not to harsh-I do like the idea of a swing back by and see if ya made it/pickup run--if its possible. But im the kind of guy that would have been at the ramp waiting to help before the boat showed up.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I agree, not too harsh. I do like the check-back though. That way if something DID happen that they were late, you could still hook-up with them. That way if they were late becuase of their own doings, they can sit and wait for you on their time.

I've been burned too many times, not with boating, but other sports, that people are too irresponsible many times, and I hate wasteing MY time waiting for somebody who didn't have the common curtousy to even call. can't tell its a huge pet peeve of mine can ya? If you say you're going to be somewhere at a certain time, then be there at that time!

I am so glad I don't have to trailer anymore... And our lake is small enough you can see our dock frmo just about anywhere on the lake.. We normally only take a couple out at a time and the rest stay on the dock..
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

You are what's called a "BOAT OWNER". It never leaves you even if you stop owning a boat. It's funny but I have a friend who loves the little sprint race cars (dirt track you know). He didn't have a car but he had a fire suit and he always brought his truck, ready to push start folks and full of gas. They all got to know him and one day they let him drive one of the cars-- he had his suit with him and ready and his helmet too. After a while he became a part owner and driver for one of them. He's never owned a boat. I asked him if he'd like to come out. He showed up at the house an hour early with extra ice and a full cooler to see if there was anything he could do to help. I consider him a "boat owner" too because he gets it. I wish we all had 4-5 friends like that. Heck, I wish we each had one friend like that.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!