Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BUI's

Default BUI's

Tell me about the seriousness of this offense? The TWRA is supposed to be out in full force this weekend on Center Hill in TN.

BUI's are bad and depending on the state they can take your boat and put you in jail. Best thing to do is drink when you are done boating for the day and the boat is put away.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Basically same as a DUI is what ive heard. Just not worth it-$10,000 is what someone told me it will cost in the long term-Personally I would also loose my job, So its water to drink on the boat and Beer when we get home.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Default Latest from TWRA's website

I always consider drinking on holiday weekends on the lake kind of like drinking on new year's eve and driving home. We keep it to a minum if any. Cheers!

Boating Under The Influence
    It is unlawful to operate any sail or powered vessel while under the influence of intoxicants or drugs. Here are some important facts to consider.

Implied Consent
    All persons operating a sail or powered vessel have given their implied consent to chemical tests to determine the alcohol or drug content of their blood. Failure to consent to testing is a separate offense and may result in suspension of vessel operating privileges for six months.

Presumption of Guilt
    A vessel operator whose BAC tests show .08% or greater by weight, of alcohol shall constitute a violation of this statute and is presumed under the influence and his or her ability to operate a vessel is impaired.

Blood-Alcohol Test Required
    Blood-alcohol content may be taken from all operators involved in an accident where death or serious injury occurred.

Penalties
    Conviction for operating under the influence will result in fines of up to $2,500 on the first offense, $2,500 on the second offense and $5,000 for the third offense. A jail sentence of 11 months and 29 days may also be imposed for any conviction and operating privileges may be suspended from one to ten years. Additional federal penalties may also be charged.
    Dead dinosaurs keep me from paddling...

It's not a holiday weekend and I'm not planning on driving while being hammered or anything but a .08 is a joke and the cops know it. Hopefully it won't be an issue but just wanted to know what people's thoughts were.

BUI in Texas is classified the same as DWI as far as punishment goes. I never worry about BUI because I never drink when the sun is up anyways. Beer, heat, and sun is not a good mix. Water and/or Gatorade is all I have in my boat for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by wbarksda View Post
    It's not a holiday weekend and I'm not planning on driving while being hammered or anything but a .08 is a joke and the cops know it. Hopefully it won't be an issue but just wanted to know what people's thoughts were.
    Well you may think .08 is a joke but i'll tell ya the cops don't and take it very seriously to the point where they will stop you if they even see alcohol just to check. Here it's identical to a DUI and your boat WILL be confiscated first offense and you must go to court to get it back. It's been all over the TV this morning and they warned of no tolerence all summer so take your chances if you feel lucky i guess.

The days of boating and drinking are done and it's just plain irresponsible to do so especially with others on a boat. Just ask the guy last year that killed a buddy when he started the boat and the guy was still in the water. "Officer i only had three beers. I didn't know he was there!" was his copout. It was his job to know and he failed. The courts convicted him of manslaughter in March, five years he got and he lost everything including his family, seems his wife warned him not to drink, duh.
    2007 Mobius LSV

there are notices out at every marina on CH about the enforcement this weekend. They say that they will be doing "road block" style checks. I believe it is similarly bad as a DUI, either way you don't want to mess with it. After some incidents on CH 2 years ago and Old Hickory 3 years ago, both resulting in deaths, enforcement has become much more serious. Just enjoy the lake and drink later!

In WI the DNR can't give you one, but they can detain you till the police arrive and they will give you an OWI; the same exact OWI if you were in a car on the street.

have someone else drive if you want to drink.

I just pulled up what a BUI will cost you in Oregon and it will be $6,250 fine and a A misd. They could also tag you with a moving violation for BUI and that is min fine of $472. The fine's are for non accidents.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill