Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default DIY Shower Install

I've done a few of these for some folks and did one in my boat. I just finished one up for a buddy and figured I post a how too for ya.
    For reference this is an 06' Moomba LSV.

As for parts its kinda tough finding all the stuff you need unless you buy the kit from heatercraft.
    I did order the mixing valve with the switch from them for about $75.
    Most of the pvc and standard plumbing parts you can find anywhere. The pressure fit fittings and the tubing you can get from an industrial fittings supplier. The fittings that attatch to the pump and mixing valve can be picked up at West Marine.
    The pump I got from a RV shop. Its just an on demand pump that turns on when the pressure drops well... like an RV.
    For the shower hose I prefer the coiled hose. It doesn't take up much room, can be squished by the fatsacs and bounce back. You can usually find the hose and head as a kit anywhere.
    All together the parts cost about $250. I believe the Kit with everything you need can be purchased through Heater Craft for $350ish?

Enjoy!

First I removed the where I will mount the pump and mixing valve.
    Next lay out the two and find the best orientation that best fits the panel.
    Cut a hole for the mixing valve and mount the valve in the panel.
    Mount the pump to the panel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by newty; 03-06-2012 at 09:46 AM.

PWI as usual...

Next thing I did was wire the pump to the switch.
    Plumb the pump suction to the mixed hot cold outlet.
    Add the shower hose to the discharge of the pump.

Now back into the boat for the water tie-in.
    First locate the impeller and find discharge side hose. Typically its the top hose that runs over to your trans cooler. This will be your cold water supply to the shower.
    Cut out a 2" section and install the fitting leaving the hose clamps loose so you can adjust it once its in place (this is easier done after removing the hose completely).
    I used a 1 1/4" barbed by barbed by 3/4" NPT PVC fitting for my tie-in.
    Next locate the 3/8" brass plug on the drivers side of the engine block about 2" above the oil pan. I believe its a 9/16" so use a socke or box end wrench. if not you will round it off or strip it.
    Remove it and install your valve. You don't have to use a valve but if something were to happen I like knowing I can isolate it.
    This will be the hot water supply to your shower.
    Last edited by newty; 03-06-2012 at 09:49 AM.

PWI as usual...

Install the panel and make the connections. I have red and blue 3/8 air hose so keeping the hot and cold seperated was easy.
    I then fused the switch and got a 12v tie in at the alternator.
    If you guys decide to do one on your boat you'll love it. I'll never have a boat w/o one.
    Super easy install with the exception of finding all the parts. Took me about and hour and a half start to finish.
    Last edited by newty; 03-06-2012 at 09:51 AM.

PWI as usual...

That looks sweet. I like that place for a install. Don't have to drill any holes in the hull or anything. Pretty nice location. Will have to keep this in mind. Just haven't decided if I want to do this or not. I was trying to decide if I wanted one of these so I took a container of hot water and poured it in my wetsuit. When I poured the hot water in the water just came out the bottom of my wetsuit. So not sure still.
    2006 Mobius LSV

good job newty

Newty, yet again, thanks man! A shower is on my "getting shorter" list of things to do to my boat. I agree, I won't own a boat without one! I have been trying to figure out where to put the pump and mixing valve, and I really like where you put them. NIce and discreet and out of the way!

Yet again one more mod that didn't require a sewing machine...

Oh, and just an fyi to the DIYers out there - skidim.com has the Heatercraft setup for 257. So, right along the lines of how much Newty paid to do this. Just an option!

And one more fyi - skidim.com is running a 10% off promo. It'll hurt, but use the word MALIBU to get it!
    Last edited by squeeg333; 06-25-2010 at 11:59 AM.
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

Newty, great write up! But for the type of boating that we (I) do, I don't see a need for it. You say you wouldn't own a boat without one. What exactly do you use it for?

Thanks,

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Newty, nice post! We have the aquatek shower kit on our boat and love it. It takes the bite out of early morning skis when it's 45F and water is in the mid to high fifties. It lets you get over the chill so you can pull the next skier.
    A nice accessory (a must if the wife is getting in the water before July) in the Northern States and Canada.
    2008 LS

Al, we use it all the time.
    1. We spend a lot of time at the beach so the kids are always sandy.
    2. Warming up a wet suit.
    3. Warming up after a cold dip.
    4. Uh... showers. When we camp of course.
    5. Ever moore on a dock that is covered with goose greese? Its a wash down pump too!
    6. Filling water ballons.
    7. Spraying the girls on the beach or the boat next to you with cold/warm water.
    8. Wet t-shir... never mind.

Just to name a few.

PWI as usual...

Well, I got my shower installed on the 4th, and tested it out yesterday. It's awesome. The control knobs have been a bit tricky to get the handle of. I've got the 100S controller, which is somewhat different than the one Newty installed. I also made some changes to the install over what Newty did, but unfortunately, didn't take copious photos during the install. I'll get some shots later this week of the finished product, to give a different perspective on where you can install things.
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.