Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I need some bumps....

Ok. Its time to get some sounds in the boat. I have a 12in sub in a box with a 300 watt amp that I want to mount in the boat. I have an 99 Outback that takes some water in at times. I guess I really ahve 3 questions. Where should I put the sub? Do I need to get some sort of water proof box? Also, should I be looking at getting another battery if I plan on tower speakers in the near future? I have some experience installing stereos, I not an expert by any means, but I would like to install this system myself. Any pointers, comments, or advice would sweet and greatly appreciated! Cheers,
    Joe

Default Replying to Topic 'I need some bumps....'

I just recently added to my stereo and the way that I have it set up is, 10" sub under the dash in a box. I am about to cut the kick plate for the sub so I can get rid of the box. I mounted 2 Liquid Audio cage speakers and all of that is pushed by a 650 watt amp mounted vertically under the passengers side. I had to make a board to mount to the existing one so it would be big enough to hang the amp. I bought another battery and a battery switch so I could have the second one isolated for a back up. I get really good sound and with both batteries charged, I don't have many problems. I did get stranded for the first time the other day since I hadn't recharged the batteries since April. I did have a friend with one of the compact jumpers, a purchase I plan to make in the near future. I hope that gives you some idea, and if you want I have pics of the setup at work so if you want them, let me know and I will post them tomorrow.

Medic
    Medic151
    06 Mobius XLV

pics would be sweet! I am looking to do this this weekend. Any advice on to what brand of battery

A second battery with a switch will be worth its weight in gold....

Sorry about taking so long today, busy at work. Let me see if I can post these. As far as a brand of battery, I really don't know. I heard from a stereo guy that there was a brand that had gel inside instead of distilled water. He said that it was the best there was, but I can't remember what the name was.

Medic
    Medic151
    06 Mobius XLV

Here is the other one. Hope this helps. You have to save target as to your computer or they won't open. I don't know why, but there you have it.

Medic
    Medic151
    06 Mobius XLV

I have a JL Audio 12" sub mounted in my boat. I had a custom box built and installed behind the kick panel under the dash. The box is ported with a 3" piece of pvc that is carpeted to match the boats carpet. The box is even with the kick plate with the sub mounted in the box firing down. The kick plate is in place and you can not tell the box is even there. The box and port tube does take a little space from the front under seat storage compartment. The box has been epoxied to resist water.

I too like medic, have built an amp rack in the storage comparment under the glove bax. I have two amps, one 500watt 4 channel for mids and highs and a 1200 watt for the 12" sub.

If you do not add an additional battery, I strongly suggest you by a rechargable portable jumper so you have something to start you up after boomin for awhile.

I not all that computer lit. so if someone tells me how to post pics I will be happy to post them. I also can e-mail if that is easier.

-Boomba

I have a JL Audio 12" sub mounted in my boat. I had a custom box built and installed behind the kick panel under the dash. The box is ported with a 3" piece of pvc that is carpeted to match the boats carpet. The box is even with the kick plate with the sub mounted in the box firing down. The kick plate is in place and you can not tell the box is even there. The box and port tube does take a little space from the front under seat storage compartment. The box has been epoxied to resist water.

I too like medic, have built an amp rack in the storage comparment under the glove bax. I have two amps, one 500watt 4 channel for mids and highs and a 1200 watt for the 12" sub.

If you do not add an additional battery, I strongly suggest you by a rechargable portable jumper so you have something to start you up after boomin for awhile.

I not all that computer lit. so if someone tells me how to post pics I will be happy to post them. I also can e-mail if that is easier.

-Boomba

battery sugestions-- napa orbital or the optima batteries are good. just remember, you can't charge them over 14.5volts, use a trickle charger ( it'll fry them)

Hey ya'll. Thanks for the sweet replys! Medic your pictures are outstanding! Boomba - could you email your set up at [email protected] when you get a chance. Also if you would like to upload pics just click the "browse" button pocated at the bottom of the screen when you choose to post a message. Scan through your computer (most likely go my computer - my pictures and select pics) otherwise you might have your pics stored in another file (possibly the brand name of your digital camera if thats how you took the pics) Also how does this rechargable portable jumper exactly work?