Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by cfdrews12 View Post
    So I appreciate all the help. So far this is what I've done. I've checked the resistance on the power cable that goes between battery and Starter. 1.3, so I assume this means cable is still good. Second thing I've done is check both boat batteries to be 12.4 amp's on both so they are good to go.

So now need to short out the big power wire to the smaller wire... (Is this at the starter?) How do I do that, screwdriver?? gcnetti you said if my engine turns over, then it is a weak ignition signal. What does this mean I should replace??

So last question. Why would the starter and system work fine every time I jump started yet wouldn't work from a good battery. All my posts and cables are clean and look good.

Very confusing. let me know your thoughts.

CF - This sounds very similar to the problem I am experiencing this weekend. If I disconnect and reconnect the battery, it seems to reset something and be back to normal for a while. Then when we least expect it, no crank again. It'll be interesting to hear your resolution. I'm pulling the boat out shortly and leaving it for the local marina to have a look at. If I hear anything, I'll let you know as well.

Starter needs a 12v signal to activate to solenoid.
    http://www.misterfixit.com/starttst.htm
    There is somewhat horrible picture of what I am describing to short the starter, but nonetheless you should be able to figure it out.

The resistance seems low enough, i dont think that there is a bad connection between your starter and battery. Only other two things would be bad ground, and you can test it much the same way in terms of resistance, from the engine block to the negative cable. second would be ignition. If there is a degraded connection your solenoid might not be getting the full signal that it needs. And shorting the starter would be an easy check for that.

How does one know which solenoid to get?

Which starter?
    06 LSV
    2 - 750lb Fatsacks, Custom Sunbrella Cover and Bimini, Kenwood KMR440MU and Amp Bazooka Tower Speakers, Aerial Mirror, Stargazer, 4 Port Heater.

Toys - O'Brien Natural, CWB Pure, IS Yellow Loogie, CWB Ride, Hyperlite Voyageur for the kids.

Smile Solved

OK. Just information back to the group in case you run into this and didn't think to try it out.

#1. I've learned to take out my starter and put it back in in under an hour. Remarkable but doable. (had to do it three times).
    #2 Find a local alternator/starter fix it shop. They will re-do your starter or alternator for less than 1/2 of what you'll pay for a new one. Took mine into a shop. They tested it and said it was good to go. Autozone and other places can't test the starters unless you get someone who is actually willing to cross reference the starter and spend some time with you. Otherwise, they just look at the blank computer screen and say. Can't test that.
    #3 I had a battery that was a few years old. Even though it tested and registered at 12.3 volts, it fell on it face when they put a load on it. I don't know if the typical auto shops can test this, but the starter place i went to put the load on it and showed me that an old battery simply won't perform and you'll get clicking due to the fact that it can't push enough amperage to run the starter.

So I put the new battery in the #1 position and moved the old batter to the number 2 and all has been fine. Evidently the starters our boats run take everything they can get and anything older than about 3-4 years old. so if you can't find anything else. Have battery tested under load.

Agreed in under an hour - two bolts to mount and two for the wires. I wish I had thought about bringing it to a starter rebuilder. I just swapped it for a rebuilt at the marina. Could have saved some dough
    06 LSV
    2 - 750lb Fatsacks, Custom Sunbrella Cover and Bimini, Kenwood KMR440MU and Amp Bazooka Tower Speakers, Aerial Mirror, Stargazer, 4 Port Heater.

Toys - O'Brien Natural, CWB Pure, IS Yellow Loogie, CWB Ride, Hyperlite Voyageur for the kids.