Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Davpmars View Post
    I know I might get various answers here but I guess how Toyota and Honda have set the bar for reliability is there a comparible Maker in the boat industry. Opinions are welcome.
    Do you mean like runaway throttles and faulty brakes reliable???? Sorry, but in the 80s and 90s the Japanese did set a standard. They have since rested on that status while domestics have matched and surpassed them. I'm done equalizing. I feel very confident that you can go purchase any new vehicle sold in America and feel assured that it will last well over 120K miles. That could not be said in the 80s and 90s. Every car maker is improving, and the consumer is the one winning.

http://www.waterskis.com/Competition-s/173.htm

This attachment has some very valid points, regardless of which boat maker you prefer. It is a good reference when shopping for your next boat. This isn't a plug for MC, but I never really thought to ask why one equally sized boat would weigh more than another.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

[QUOTE=maxpower220;103558]Do you mean like runaway throttles and faulty brakes reliable???? Sorry, but in the 80s and 90s the Japanese did set a standard.

Most all of those clams proved unfounded and independent studies were unable to prove the runaway throttles. Plus I don't think the car makers should be punished for stupid people that can't even think to turn the car off or shift into neutral. Easy fix to stopping a car. I mean what Idiots!!!! Don't believe everything you hear in the media! And I want 200K+ miles out of my cars. 120k is not that much.

Personally if Honda or Toyota came out with a boat engine I would switch to that without hesitation. But that comes from someone who as never owned a Ford or GM powered viehicle except for my Moomba that I am very happy with!
    Last edited by Salyers; 06-21-2010 at 09:12 PM.
    2012 Mojo
    2009 LS (SOLD!!!)
    2010 Tundra 5.7 Crewmax 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by Salyers View Post

Personally if Honda or Toyota came out with a boat engine I would switch to that without hesitation. But that comes from someone who as never owned a Ford or GM powered viehicle except for my Moomba that I am very happy with!
    If you want a Toyota boat/Toyota powered here you go. Just check out the link. http://www.epicmarine.com Although Toyata longer is in the marine industy. Glad you went with Moomba though.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

My friend's Sanger, SVFara and Supreme has a Black Scorpion engines. Those engines are pure beauty. Are they reliable ? Not sure, i remember seeing a lot of ratchet arround the engine bay. All mercruiser power plan i think.

All New Engines Weather Merc, Pcm Or Indmar Are 350 Vortec Blocks.....period!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dru1974 View Post
    All New Engines Weather Merc, Pcm Or Indmar Are 350 Vortec Blocks.....period!!!!!!
    Except for the new engines that aren't 350 Vortec Blocks, such as the 6.0L that's based on GM's newer, more modern Gen IV Vortec 6000.......period!!!!!!
    www.louisianawakeboarding.com

2004 LSV
    Perfect Pass, Integrated ballast (front, rear, middle), Wake Plate, Tower mounted bimini, Swivel board racks, Surf board rack, Tower mounted mirror, Keel guard, 4 tower speakers, 12" sub, 2 amps, transom remote, Bow filler cushion, and the list continues to grow.

You should really take a look at the Mercruiser engine. The impeller system that they use (unless they changed recently) it much more difficult to change than Indmar/PCM. After owning one (Mercruiser inboard), I must prefer Indmar. Indmar is easier to do routine maintenance on.

Toyota has been making a marine motor for several years. Since no one has heard of it, there may be a reason. It is a little down on HP and TQ compared to the GM block. Since GM has the market covered, parts are cheap, and most mechanics know small block Chevy, it is difficult for Toyota to enter the market and gain a share with huge corperate backing (see NASCAR and forget F1).

There are several versions of the GM block out there for boats. Most of us have a Gen IV 5.7L engine. There are also 6.0L and 8.1L available on many boats. For the extreme, there is the LS7
    http://indmar.com/ProductLine/Indmar/6.0L/index.html

For my comment on cars lasting 120K: That covers every car sold in the U.S. Not really sure that I would count on the Kia/Hyundia/Suzukis of the $10K car to last a lot longer. Since my last 2, problem free, domestic trucks lasted me well into the 100K+, I have no doubt that my Avy will last more than 150K without any issues.
    Last edited by maxpower220; 06-22-2010 at 04:42 PM.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Ok all are vortech in the ski industry and especialy the 350. Better?

Thanks for all your input guys. I'm pretty comfortable working on Chevy engines and I also know the reliability of the Chevy small block (and the power for that matter) -

My brother-in-law has a Moomba Outback LS and my friend has a Tige RZ2. The Moomba has a much better pull and plains out much faster. I guess I'll rule out the engine as to why this happens and put more emphasis on the size of the boat and the location of the engine in the boat.

IMO, todays marine engines all seem to be pretty good and are all comparable. I have a 1982 American Skier with a Ford 351W and a Holley 4 barrel. She's still original, has almost 1k hours on her and she still runs strong and doesn't use any oil.
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier