Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Moomba Engine Manufacturer?

I have done a little research on the different engine manufacturers for boat companies such as Moomba, Malibu, Master Craft, and Tige and it seems like most use the Indmar.

What is the difference between Indmar and GM? Some Moomba boat owners say they have a Chevy motor in their boat and others say Indmar. Same for Malibu boat owners.

I know this is a Moomba Forum but I would also appreciate any insite to who makes the engines for the other boat makers mentioned.

Thanks

Indmar is the company that supply the motor for the boat industry.i.e. skier's choice, mastercraft, ets. The block or engine is a GM. So all in the internal parts, i.e. crank, pistons and all that stuff is GM. Indmar add the water stuff, i.e. pump, riser and all those bell and whistle to change it from auto engine to boat engine.

Quote Originally Posted by kojack View Post
    Indmar is the company that supply the motor for the boat industry.i.e. skier's choice, mastercraft, ets. The block or engine is a GM. So all in the internal parts, i.e. crank, pistons and all that stuff is GM. Indmar add the water stuff, i.e. pump, riser and all those bell and whistle to change it from auto engine to boat engine.
    Is it safe to say then that all the boat manufacturers mentioned above (Malibu, Moomba, Tige, and MasterCraft) have Chevy engines in them but are all modified by Indmar to be marine ready? I guess I'm just supprised that there aren't other companies that do this same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Davpmars View Post
    Is it safe to say then that all the boat manufacturers mentioned above (Malibu, Moomba, Tige, and MasterCraft) have Chevy engines in them but are all modified by Indmar to be marine ready? I guess I'm just supprised that there aren't other companies that do this same thing.
    PCM (Pleasure Craft Marine) is another supplier of marine engines in the same fashion. I have a PCM 350 Chevy in my OB.

My 90 Supra had a PCM Ford 351 engine
    My 07 Moomba has Indmar GM 350
    BOTH are SC products.

Alot of it depends on the year of boat, manufacturer, and contracts they have in place with the suppliers!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Ford and Chevy used to be the main supplier of engines to the Marine engine makers (PCM, Mercruiser, Indmar). The companies (Indmar/PCM) take the GM (or Ford) blocks and marinize them for use in water/saltwater conditions by adding intakes, cooling systems, and exhaust systems. With the advent of EFI, they also added the electronics.
    GM is the main supplier now because they still have a plant making the same small block 350. Ford no longer produces the 351W that was used. Once Ford made the modular 4.6/5.4 engines, they stopped pushrod engine production. Hence, everyone now uses a GM block.

Now, each boat maker has specs for engines in their boats. Indmar has a different EFI system for MasterCraft vs Skiers Choice vs Malibu vs Tige. They are all different enough to have different HP ratings and part numbers.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

I think the spread goes like this:

Indmar - MC, SC, Malibu
    PCM - Nautique, Tige (used to use Mercuiser)
    Centurion - Mercruiser (I think)

And yes, as already stated the are all GM blocks. Also, the different Manufacturers have different names for them, "Assault" "MCX" "Hammerhead" etc. but I think sometimes the same engine will be sold to different manufacturers with just different names or graphics on them.

I am a chevy guy so i have a lot of confidence in the chevy engine and in my skills on working on chevy engines. It makes me feel comfortable knowing that most boats have chevy "guts" in them however with all the other differences is there a way to say which manufacturer is the most reliable?

I know I might get various answers here but I guess how Toyota and Honda have set the bar for reliability is there a comparible Maker in the boat industry. Opinions are welcome.

My last inboard had a Ford 351w engine.Ran great. Ford went to the modular engine in 1997.The engine is so wide because of the overhead cams no one has made marine exhaust manifolds for them since the engine would be wider than the chevy.
    jy

I now have a 2010 indmar and like it, I had the old 351w in my old boats and they were cpm, rock solid, saying that I very honestly think all manufacturers are equally good.
    Last edited by dru1974; 06-21-2010 at 11:21 PM.