Thread: Binding reco?

Default Binding reco?

I'm pretty much just a free skiier, if I find the time to improve and get to the course that would be great, if I only free ski around the lake I'm happy with that too. I found a good deal on a new, but 2007/blem HO Comp Freeride which as a ski I like so far compared to the half of a combo that I usually used.

I got it with a HO Level binding and RTP. The Level binding for some reason was always difficult to come off when I was done, the straps not releasing very easily or in some cases at at all. I guess I didn't think much of it but sure enough this weekend I took an awkward fall and my front foot didn't release, end result ankle fracture so short season for me this year.

I want to take precautions to avoid the situation in the future. I think at minimum I'd get another HO level rear binding instead of the RTP, thinking that they'd probably both stay in which is a lot better than one out. I'm not opposed to spending a bit for a nicer/safer pair of bindings too though, that would either both release or both stay in. Any good recommendations?

That (fracture) is really the pitts. Speedy recovery...
    1. I ditched the RTP for a rear pivot boot for similar reason. I butchered my hamstring a few years back, so I'd rather be cartwheeling with a higher chance of both feet either in, or out of both boots. Any further hamstring damage and I might be out of the sport.
    2. NOTE: It will affect your skiing. I cannot ski as well. Rear boot performs much differently than RTP. Andy Mapple's legendary career was with an RTP.
    3. Don't want to cause you to spend more $, but I have the HO Animals, and am very happy with them. Very comfortable. My son moved up from his ski that had Levels, to my Animals and much prefers them (doesn't ski much though).
    4. I can't say how they are for releasing feet, as...touch wood...I try to ski in control, given the hamstring issue, and haven't tested that aspect.
    '07 Outback V
    Ski|Board|Surf|Skate

Yeah maybe something like the Animals or another rubber that are more likely to release and keeping the RTP would be better. Do you find those release pretty well?

Quote Originally Posted by PWO View Post
    Do you find those release pretty well?
    Is it me you asking if they release well? Again, as in my prev post, I cannot answer that. The only time mine release is when I manually remove them when I'm done. Though I do push it, to continue to improve, I try to maintain control and (touch wood again) have not wrecked. Many close calls though.
    '07 Outback V
    Ski|Board|Surf|Skate

I have the Comp Freeride as well and it came with the HO Shock binding and RTP. I bought a rear boot to match off ebay as soon as I bought the ski and the Shock bindings work just fine. Comfortable and never been a problem in a wipeout

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Cool

I think the problem you encountered unfortunetely,is more due to rear foot popping out of the toe loop as opposed to what brand of bindings.
    There are many good fitting comfortable boots from all brands, that will fit well keep you secure and are not that hard to pull off,getting on usually involves juice just like wakeboards.There are a couple hinge type that are even easier to get in and out of as well.
    If i take a big spill i seldom come out of the boots,so be ready for cartwheels etc with ski attached.Personally i still think its safer than a loose foot.
    Many brands,differrent prices ,lots to choose from,ask around or do a little research. Personally i have Venoms on one ski and Animals on the other.Both Ho but mixing brands,can and is done frequently.
    Good luck and sorry about the spill.

No offence but proper guidence is the key as no matter what binding you are riding you will hurt yourself if out are not thinking of a streight back ,don't get humped over your ski like an old lady. When I was young and full of piss and Vinegar I fractured my knee getting to far ahead of myself and also broke both my ankles. Patience and form young grasshopper.
    yes a good set of bindings and ski will help but form is most important.

Yeah I'm not under the illusion that a particular brand/model of bindings is going to make all problems go away. More along the lines of if people have had issues with Level or other lace up bindings not releasing, and that using them with an RTP is a bad idea (vs. two lace up to stay in). Or I know tons of people use an RTP vs. double bindings, are they generally using rubber bindings like animals/wileys which are more likely to release? Or if people have had any experience with things like the RS1/Exos/Powershells/etc which are probably well beyond both my skill level and price range, but just looking for info.

Maybe it was just my particular binding because I can rarely even get the laces mechanism to release by hand once tightened.