Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is there a way to wire my 12v GPS navi directly into my Accessory switch?

I have a GPS I use for a speedometer that is plugged into the 12 volt outlet. I have to remember to unplug it every day. I want it wired into an existing switch or put a new one on the dash. Does anyone know how I might take the 12v plug off the end and match the wires to an existing switch? Or will I have to add an on/off switch to the 12v outlet? Ideas???
    2001 Moomba Outback, Indmar Assault 325 + 4BBL Holley

Default Is there a way to wire my 12v GPS navi directly into my Accessory switch?

I have a GPS I use for a speedometer that is plugged into the 12 volt outlet. I have to remember to unplug it every day. I want it wired into an existing switch or put a new one on the dash. Does anyone know how I might take the 12v plug off the end and match the wires to an existing switch? Or will I have to add an on/off switch to the 12v outlet? Ideas???

Wire it to an ACC switch. Cut off/take apart the 12 V plug. Not sure what kind of switch you have? Take a pic and I'm sure we could help you out with the wiring.
    Last edited by 2007 Outback V; 06-20-2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Didn't read the whole question.

I want to combine it with my Accessory 1 rocker switch which has my depthfinder attached. Just not sure what to stick where.

Couldn't you just tap into that Accessory 1 wires? Splice?

Quote Originally Posted by 02Outback View Post
    Couldn't you just tap into that Accessory 1 wires? Splice?
    I'm just having a little difficulty deciphering the backside of the panel. There is "ACC1 out" which I guess is the power to the device. But then I'm not sure where the other wire goes. It's just so darn crowded and hard to read under there. I don't think I can fry anything too badly so maybe I'll just undo the 12v plug and stick some wires onto the ACC1 terminals.

Get a 12 volt test light and figure out which pin is the power out and tap the positive side of your GPS on that. Then there should be a common ground along the switches so tap into that for the groung side. Go to your local auto parts store or stereo shop and explain what your doing and they will provide the right parts.
    Last edited by newty; 06-20-2010 at 10:14 PM.

PWI as usual...

I did this to my boat for using the Tsunami pump. I just ran the hot wire of the 12V outlet to the switch (ACC + I think) and then then you can run the ground to any of the 12V- spades on the circuit board. Piece of cake!

I would go out and buy a second plug in for the GPS unit. If not you might be able to unscrew the plug to get to the wires or you can cut it if you want. Then you should have a black wire and a red wire. the black wire will go to the grounding block and the red wire will go to the switch.

You could also but the cigarette lighter socket at radio shack. Then wire the black end to the grounding block and the red wire to the ACC switch. This way if you want to use the GPS in something other then the boat you just unplug and go. You also get away from having to cut open wires.

2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Quote Originally Posted by NCSUmoomba View Post
    I did this to my boat for using the Tsunami pump. I just ran the hot wire of the 12V outlet to the switch (ACC + I think) and then then you can run the ground to any of the 12V- spades on the circuit board. Piece of cake!
    Perfect. I love this. I think this is exactly what I need. Two questions: I plan to have the Humminbird AND the Garmin Navi on the same switch. Surely these two don't draw too much power??? Second, "any of the 12v- spades" means exactly what? I'm guessing there are some back there with a minus (-) next to them. I'll look for that.

Thanks again!