Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I completely agree with Ed. I don't take money from anyone. However it is nice that most people offer. I enjoy seeing someone get up for the first time on a ski or wakeboard behind my boat. I tell them that I would be using it whether they were with me or not, and I would be spending the money either way. Most people understand and will stop trying to give me money.

I think its a nice gesture, and certainly appreciated when offered, but I don't really judge the person based on if they offer gas money or not. Most of the time I'm sending out mass text messages to find a third (everyone wants to go out on weekends, but try finding a 3rd on a Tuesday thats overcast and 60 degrees, lol)

I've often had friends show up with food, beer, even a gas can full of gas - which is always nice for sure. Its definately the thought that counts.

In the grand scheme of things, gas is cheap, and I bought the boat for fun - I'd be burning the gas anyway, so why not have other people around to enjoy it with me!
    2013 Outback V

I have helped fill others tanks with out them knowing at the time, Ive had others stuff a 2 twenty's in my pocket and take off in a all out sprint down the dock so that I could not refuse---that person will ALWAYS be welcome on my boat anytime. I have also had some who spent the summer with us most weekends and never chip in-hate to say but that got old and for some reason they havent been around the last 2 summers, oh and we would never see them in the winters
    Last edited by moombadaze; 06-19-2010 at 10:54 AM.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by cbboarder View Post
    As a newer boat and lakehouse owner, I might not be up to speed on the gas etiquette issue but this is how I handle it. Typically, we have friends and family up for the weekend and i'll assume i'm paying but accept if they offer. If they don't offer, they might not be invited back especially if they see me forking out $100.00 for gas.

For instance,this weekend one of my best friends and his family drove in from Mobile, AL for a 5-day weekend at the lake. They insisted on paying for the first 40 gallons of gas and the groceries for the weekend. Great minds think a like.
    I could not have said it better. The ones that get repeat invites are the ones that bring packed coolers and ice, or pickup the tab at the marina without even asking.
    The other pet peeve is when we are done for the day and they sprint to the car without helping store the toys and wipe down the boat. They only get one chance at that.

Quote Originally Posted by cbboarder View Post
    As a newer boat and lakehouse owner, I might not be up to speed on the gas etiquette issue but this is how I handle it. Typically, we have friends and family up for the weekend and i'll assume i'm paying but accept if they offer. If they don't offer, they might not be invited back especially if they see me forking out $100.00 for gas.

For instance,this weekend one of my best friends and his family drove in from Mobile, AL for a 5-day weekend at the lake. They insisted on paying for the first 40 gallons of gas and the groceries for the weekend. Great minds think a like.

Amen to that! At least offer or you probably won't be invited again

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

I never pay for food or beer, not because I am not willing but my friends and family always hook it up and often pitch in for gas. This is really a non issue. My other buddy pulls his huge RV to the lake a lot and that makes it super nice, it has a washer and dryer which is super handy. Every once in a while we have someone from out of our crew that you can tell is only there for the toys, but before I owned a boat I had no idea how much they cost on the day to day. Buy as said before I didn't buy the boat to make money from it.
    '07 Moomba Outback V.

I have a few regulars on the boat and they offer to chip in on the gas. However, if we just go out for a 2-3hr evening session I don't except it because we dont burn that much gas.

So to give a bit more insight, this guy has not been offering a dime for anything. I even supply the cold beer most times.

Again, its not the money that bothers me, but just the lack of common courtesy that is bothering me. I guess to me it just seems common knowledge to offer something. Heck, even if it was simply a burger when we stopped on the lake to eat. I have a buddy who sold his 2004 TE Nautique 211 2 summers ago and his first time out with me he put $40 for gas without even telling me. When he comes out again, there is not a chance I would accept a dollar from him. I know he'll end up buying beer/food in the future, but with his initial courtesy I consider him paid up for life on gas.

It just seems like even if we don't accept it, an offer is simply a nice gesture. Especially after your 4-5th trip with ZERO offers. Its becoming more apparent to me that I simply do not like this fella and that may be the real reason as this hasnt come up before. Ah well......

But at the end of the day, I like people coming out and making sure they enjoy themselves as well. Thats the great part about this whole boating life. Its really a win-win even if you have to take out the occasional free-loader. Haha

Speaking of that.....I need to get my stuff packed up and get up to the lake.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

Some say you don't take money from the ladies but in my case the ladies on my boat do more surfing/wakeboarding then the guys. Hell, a couple of them don't own a boat but have invested money in their own wakeboard and fancy life jackets because they are on my boat so much. They offer every other time and I'm sure if my boat could smile it would after watching them wipe it down.

If you didn"t even bring your own beer, you'd be very hydrated that day, cause u'd be drinking water all day. Just saying