Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

If it is a 1st timer I say no thanks to gas money but if it is a regular rider who rides with us all the time I will accept some cash for gas. We have one certain friend who has spent the better part of 15 years in our boat. NOT ONE time has this person offered gas money, nor do they bring there own beer! If this person offered me money i am not sure if I could take it as the joke has been running for 15 years now and I would not want to mess with that streak for a lousy 20 bucks! hahaaha

It's a funny thing...you can buy a guy a beer and he's so appreciative. Let him consume $20+ of boat gas...well, so many folks just don't get it that these things take $ to run.
    It may depend on your lot in life and charitable disposition as to whether you accept, but I think it's pathetic that somebody would not offer to contribute $ or other consideration.
    '07 Outback V
    Ski|Board|Surf|Skate

I'm kind of surprised by some of these comments. When you invite your friends over for dinner you don't charge them for it do you? Maybe some of the people your inviting aren't really your friends but just more of a acquiantance who you call just to get a third. And if your friends never offer or bring anything I think you need some better friends.
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

I have never asked anyone for money so I wouldnt say i "charge" them to come out on the boat. It has just pretty much become an expected gesture, at least with the people i know.

Dinner at the house doesnt cost $400 either.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by phospher View Post
    When you invite your friends over for dinner you don't charge them for it do you?
    Difference is that everyone eats; few own a boat. With friends over for dinner, there is an almost universal understanding of future reciprocation. Even then, they often offer to bring a salad, and usually show up with wine. conversely, if they're on your boat, they more than likely (tho not always) do not have a boat, thus cannot reciprocate.
    '07 Outback V
    Ski|Board|Surf|Skate

^^ exactly. big difference in a $40 dinner at home and a boat that runs me upwards of $800/month for gas, maintenance, repairs, insurance and payments.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Most people on my boat are good friends and they always offer gas money. Even when my parents come out on the boat with us they usually fill up the Truck or the boat or sometimes both.

I never expect gas money from anyone I invite, but if they had a good time and they feel the need to offer gas money then I am happy to accept it.

I knew what I was getting into when I chose to buy a boat. They are defintely not cheap in any way. But it is ultimately my responsiblity to shoulder the cost...but a little bit of help never hurts!
    2012 Mojo
    2009 LS (SOLD!!!)
    2010 Tundra 5.7 Crewmax 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    I have never asked anyone for money so I wouldnt say i "charge" them to come out on the boat. It has just pretty much become an expected gesture, at least with the people i know.

Dinner at the house doesnt cost $400 either.

Right, but a party could. Do you charge a cover for entrance into your party? I haven't paid to enter a house party since college. I do think moombabound brings up a good point in his post though.

exactly. big difference in a $40 dinner at home and a boat that runs me upwards of $800/month for gas, maintenance, repairs, insurance and payments.
    Personally, if the 800 dollars is not in my monthly budget then I'm not taking the boat out. I will say though, I do make sacrifices to make sure that the money I want to spend in the summer on the boat/gas etc.. is there. It sure does suck having a budget, which I'm sure most of us have.

If you have the cash and can afford it I think it's a bit cheap to take the cash for gas. When I got my first boat and my wife and I weren't making nearly as much money, I would gladly accept the cash for gas but that's only cause I needed it.

I will sum it up like this, If you need the cash then by all means take it. If not, your being pretty cheap.
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

I don't feel like its being cheap. In my situation, which we could all be referring to different situations, if I didn't get money from the regular riders I would be getting used up and down the lake. Who wouldn't want to be my friend?

We ride all day long. I don't feel like I am being cheap beacause i accept their money to ride behind the boat for a couple hours each day. Going for a cruise or going out to lay around and swim is one thing. Having 2 or 3 1 hour sessions each day is another.

Just because i am the boat owner doesnt mean i should have to front the cost of $1,000 a month in gas, let alone all the other things that come with it such as boards, ropes, etc. Hell i have boards on the boat i dont even use or need just so other can have something to ride that fits them. $1,000 a month in gas is not in my budget nor do i think it should be.

Let's say i were taking a road trip with someone from here to florida and they drove, if i didnt offer to pay for some gas, i think that would be kinda crappy.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

My wife won't turn down a penny offered by anyone. She's money hungry.
    My personal take on it is I invited them and I'm spending the same amount of money whether they go or not, so I don't expect anything. I do however appreciate it when someone offers up gas money and I generally don't turn it down if it's someone who got in a fair share of pulls. It does help, and I do make sure any money I get goes back in the gas tank and not lost in my wallet.