Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Donations accepted. I take the cash. I just cant afford to pay for everyone's fun all summer. I don't ask/require gas money though. I like if someone gives a few dollars, less than 5, maybe everyother or every 3rd time. Usually if one person gives cash when others are around, the remaining people feal obligated. No one wants to be a bad tipper. Even if my regular boat crew pitches in what I like to see, it will only cover 3/4 the fuel cost.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

I think most people would at least offer if they see how much upkeep it is to keep a boat in great shape. You don't hear very often about friends helping you wax the boat and clean the vinyl, carpet, and apply UV protection on the interior.

There is a couple we always take boating and they always throw us 20 or 30 bucks for gas and I always take it. I don't expect it, but I do appreciate it. It is a win win for both of us. They don't have to buy a boat and we get great company and a little gas money.

I think if you are spending all day on someones boat and you are a mature adult you should offer that person gas money. I have taken out people who rode in the boat all day, used the wakeboards..etc..and didn't offer anything, they don't come boating anymore!

After taking the money we head straight to the gas station and put that amount in the boat.

I live on a lake so our boat gets lots of use.I never take gas money. Most of the regular riders will pay for beer etc. I take neighbors kids boarding and several of them have tried to give me money the thought was appreciated.Gas is just the cost of fun.

My daughter always brings a friend or two with her to the lakehouse. Of course I don't expect money from them. However, at the end of the weekend everyone is cleaning the OBV inside and out before we head home. Small price to pay for geat fun.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body!
    2009 Outback V

They offer, I take it! Of course if its just a dinner cruise I won't, but if we burn a tank (which we usually do) I take it and thank them. Call me a meiser but we paid for everything else, Skis, wakeboards, surfboards, ropes, vests Insurance, maintenence, etc... they can throw in a $20 for an awesome day on the water. I ALWAYS make sure my guests have a great time! Thats cheap entertainment. Now that most of my friends have boats they are starting to get it. Owning a boat isn't cheap.

PWI as usual...

Same here - if they offer, I graciously accept it. Some don't know any better and I don't hold it against them and they are usually the neighbors who only come with us once or twice a year. I think some people equate it to riding with you to a ballgame or something so they don't think to offer you gas money. Now if it's someone who comes often and takes 3 or 4 turns every time and they don't chip in after several outings, then I find an opportunity to let them know in a nice way that chipping in for gas is appreciated. I think some people are afraid they may offend you if they offer gas money and some people, it just never occurs to them. Again, I don't hold it against them.

When I am invited along on someone else's boat, I always insist on chipping in and I usually make it a point to do it in front of everybody so that they are reminded to chip in or are clued in to the fact that they ought to. We boat owners have to look out for each other
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by newty View Post
    They offer, I take it! Of course if its just a dinner cruise I won't, but if we burn a tank (which we usually do) I take it and thank them. Call me a meiser but we paid for everything else, Skis, wakeboards, surfboards, ropes, vests Insurance, maintenence, etc... they can throw in a $20 for an awesome day on the water. I ALWAYS make sure my guests have a great time! Thats cheap entertainment. Now that most of my friends have boats they are starting to get it. Owning a boat isn't cheap.
    I agree. I took out a bunch of my Army buddies that I was deployed with to Iraq this past year. I invited 8 of them. I had food, drinks, and all the toys on the boat ready to be used. We were on the lake for 9 hours with the boat pretty much running the entire time. They all chipped in around 20 each. We had all meet at the gas station and while there I filled the boat up. Took 70 bucks to fill the boat up. Had 40 in pocket to cover drinks and food left. Everyone of them said they would greatly chip in 20 again for a full day on the lake. I mean where else can you go out for 9 hours and have fun, eat and drink for 20 bucks. I mean hell you go to a amusement park and it will cost you way over that and you will be in lines most the day. I was pulling 3 tubes at a time so that 3 were out getting wet and having fun. Since most them were boards. But had a few of them try kneeboarding and wakeboarding. That got them even more hooked. They all can't wait to go back out.
    Last edited by walb0244; 06-20-2010 at 11:24 AM.
    2006 Mobius LSV

Gracious people will offer to chip in somehow. I will usually take gas money from people if they are insistent, unless I know they can't really afford it, then I refuse.

However, as several have mentioned, there's wiping down the boat, setting it up and putting it away. People who are always there helping fold up the bimini, throw the rope out , etc are usually the same people who are offering gas money, bringing drinks and food for everyone. People without common courtesy don't chip in and lay out on the sundeck until it's their turn. The latter ones don't get invited back out.

I think what you are looking for is some appreciation that you are doing said 'gentlemen' a favor and you're not getting that appreciation. I wouldn't like it, either.

If we go out twice a week, I easily spend $800-1000 on the boat and truck just for gas. Then there's boards, ropes and other gear, the capital cost of the boat, insurance, storage and maintenance. All told, every trip to the lake is probably costing us anywhere from $200-500. Expecting your invited guests to acknowledge you sharing your toy is totally fine, whether you ever take a single dollar or not.
    -ryan
    '10 Wakesetter LSV

Cool

If i go out with regulars they usually chip in either gas or lunch etc. First timers i will not take anything from as we are usually asking them so its just nice to see the enjoyment they get out of it.
    Other boaters i will ride with usually its understood there time will come. And respectful friends that have or have had boats that are in between are usually the most understanding as they know the costs involved.
    I always deny first but will take small amounts as i don't plan to make money at this at all. I/we would go anyways at my/our expense but a little appreciation does go along way and keeps people on the invite list.