Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Question Thoughts on taking gas cash?

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

I was just talking to my wife and she said she thinks it is absolutely absurd to take gas money from her best friend's latest gentleman friend. Or anyone for that matter. Her arguement is that we asked them to come out on our boat. Which is not always the case in reality.

I am somewhere in between in that I appreciate the consideration, as I have ALWAYS offered a driver of another boat I was spending the day on gas money. That being said, I would NEVER ask for gas money especially from any of my wifes lady friends that come out. But I must admit it is very mildly irratating that I have taken this fella out 5 different times this summer and never once has he offered a dime. Not even to pick up cold beer. This guy has 3-4 friends I have met that are boat owners, so it shouldnt be his first rodeo.

Am I turning into a grump in my old age? I'm turning 30 this year for goodness sake.

So do you guys take it and say thanks or do you decline and say thanks? Furthermore, would you say that it is more common for someone to offer gas money than not?
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

If we have invited guests out, we decline the first offer but accept if the guests persist - which most do. We have found cash in the glove box, in the cooler, & in the fridge after folks have left. Two guests asked to borrow my truck to go get ice at the local convenience store and when I got back in - SURPRISE - they had filled my truck with gas!

We've never had anyone show up empty-handed. Peeps usually bring more food & drink than we can consume.

BTW - if that dude doesn't find a way to help out with the expense associated with your toy, let him go play with himself! (Yeah, I wrote that the way it sounds in your head!)

Quote Originally Posted by WaterBullDawg1980 View Post
    What are everyone's thoughts on this?

I was just talking to my wife and she said she thinks it is absolutely absurd to take gas money from her best friend's latest gentleman friend. Or anyone for that matter. Her arguement is that we asked them to come out on our boat. Which is not always the case in reality.

I am somewhere in between in that I appreciate the consideration, as I have ALWAYS offered a driver of another boat I was spending the day on gas money. That being said, I would NEVER ask for gas money especially from any of my wifes lady friends that come out. But I must admit it is very mildly irratating that I have taken this fella out 5 different times this summer and never once has he offered a dime. Not even to pick up cold beer. This guy has 3-4 friends I have met that are boat owners, so it shouldnt be his first rodeo.

Am I turning into a grump in my old age? I'm turning 30 this year for goodness sake.

So do you guys take it and say thanks or do you decline and say thanks? Furthermore, would you say that it is more common for someone to offer gas money than not?
    That's just rude. Even if you don't take it, the offer should be made. Any guest should know enough to bring refreshments or offer to pay for gas, or both. I'd put up with that once, question the second time and there wouldn't be a third. Good luck with that.

Personally, I would never ask nor accept any money from my friends or anyone else I invite on my boat. However, I do like it when people at least offer or bring some drinks. Luckily our friends rarely if ever come empty handed. So yeah, I guess I agree with your wife, it's "absurd". Gas does get expensive but it's just another expense of owning a boat. Now, if you really need the cash then it might be different...
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

If i invite someone I don't accept money unless they persist. If they ask to go out then i'll tell them donations are appreciated. I don't take it personally if non-boating guests don't know the ettiquete, after all how would they? Most will usually offer except for the oblivious ones. So i honestly don't consider that rude.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Here are my thoughts. I never expect money from someone I ask to come out boating. If they offer, I decline twice, and accept on the third attempt. What is really tough is when you accept and then they ask 'How much??'

Think about it. We typically go through maybe 6 gallons per hour. If you do not include drive time to your site, which can be substantial on some lakes, and just look at stick time per person, a typical skier may go through a half hour worth of gas. So we are talking 3 gallons. Unless you are buying marina gas, should be less than $10.

If you asked the couple over for dinner and drinks.
    You might say 'Bring over some steaks and we can BBQ.', OR 'My bar is not well stocked so you might want to bring over your favorite..'.
    Would you say - 'We are having steak so bring cash.'

If no stipulation is made during the invite, results can vary. But $10 is barely more than a drink at club these days. Is it worth the anxiety? In all honesty, if the guys is being brought along as a friend-of-a-girlfriend, then the girlfriend is more liable than the guy.

If the shoe is on the other foot, I would always volunteer money or gas if I were the guy. But I know some people who get offended if you offer money.

I would say - OK to be a little annoyed, but don't let it bug you. Unless the guys is burning through $30 worth of gas...
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

I think if you invite people out it's on you. Most people with any kind of class or sense will find a way to contribute something. But, the "regular riders" who jump in the truck, jump in the boat and don't contribute are the ones that need to get bumped off the phone list.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I do not yet own my own boat, I consider myself super lucky to spend the day on a friends boat, and I always give them gas money! I would not feel right not giving them some, as I know the cost of gas can be very very expensive.

Andy L

I got my monthly invoice from my dry-dock marina last week ... $400!!! And that is only the gas portion. $120 for storage. I give first-timers a free ride. I say to get them addicted. After that my riders regularly give me cash for gas. And I gladly accept it. Where else could you go and have so much fun for $10 a person? $400 a month to teach new skiers, pull others for miles on end is stiff. If I were richer I'd do it for free.
    2001 Moomba Outback, Indmar Assault 325 + 4BBL Holley

As a newer boat and lakehouse owner, I might not be up to speed on the gas etiquette issue but this is how I handle it. Typically, we have friends and family up for the weekend and i'll assume i'm paying but accept if they offer. If they don't offer, they might not be invited back especially if they see me forking out $100.00 for gas.

For instance,this weekend one of my best friends and his family drove in from Mobile, AL for a 5-day weekend at the lake. They insisted on paying for the first 40 gallons of gas and the groceries for the weekend. Great minds think a like.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body!
    2009 Outback V